A New Name

*Edited 4/16/22*

After the introduction of the laboratory, things began to change. Alucard had grown closer to me. No longer was he the aloof and distant stranger watching from afar, but now truly part of my life. He now accompanied me on my exploits throughout the castle, taking part on my explorations through the castle halls, and adventures within the pages of the library books. In the laboratory his mother once worked in he demonstrated how to use the instruments and how to use the great telescope.

It turns out Alucard was a very intelligent man, I'd even say the most intelligent in the world! He'd tell me all the different things about the world; history, astronomy, nature, cultures, and medicine as he showed me through the library books. From him I learned of the many countries, how to navigate using the stars, how to hunt and cook game meat, and much more. It wasn't just learning from books either, most, if not all of this new knowledge came from going out into the world.

Well relatively speaking.

Alucard took me on the well worn trails in the forests surrounding the castle. He showed me the various game trails and taught me how to follow them. He identified the various plants and mushrooms, teaching me which ones I could use to help me and which ones to avoid. Although we never went far from the castle, the forests outside felt like another world.

Some days there was nothing to teach and we pleasantly walked the forest paths, enjoying the serene beauty of nature and each other's company. I really enjoyed Alucard's company. Perhaps it was the fact he was the only other presence around, or perhaps I was just a social butterfly by nature. I loved being in Alucard's presence and enjoyed every moment with him. Even if we were only reading books, or learning how to categorize herbs, I was happy just to be near him.

Alucard opened up as well. He smiled more, his soft tone lost the dreary weight. I could see it as time passed the melancholy lift from his shoulders, and he bloomed like a flower in the spring after a long hard winter. I knew I was seeing the true Alucard, one the legends and terrifying stories would never tell of. One who was kind, soft spoken, understanding, and patient.

Thank goodness he was patient.

"I have a question." I asked, skipping on top of the rocks and downed logs along the riverbank. "How are you not burning alive right now? It's the middle of the day."

"I am half vampire." Alucard answered walking alongside me. "The human part of me is capable of surviving the sunlight."

"That's good." I nodded, balancing across a log holding my staff horizontally. "Because my ventures in the woods would be quite lonely."I wasn't focusing and slipped. Alucard caught me and for a moment I felt a blazing heat in my chest and the warm flush of my cheeks. We glanced at each other and quickly flinched away.  "Sorry!" I stammered. "Thanks for catching me."

"You're welcome. Try to be more cautious."

"I will." I hopped onto another rock, following the stream. I stuck my staff into the water, stirring it up to attract the fish. "There's so much to see, even in this forest close to home."

"Home?" Alucard wondered surprised.

"Y'know. The castle." I cocked my head at him. "Isn't that home?"

"It is." Alucard sighed. "I hadn't realized it has become home to you." I nodded. "It's the first place I felt like I belonged. It was great being with the Speakers, and I will never forget their kindness when they took me in, but, I always felt like a guest, here it's different." Alucard didn't respond, but I saw the light in his eyes when we approached a grand field of wildflowers. "So pretty." I jogged into the field, taking everything in.