The Clouds Burst

My staff glowed in warning long before the first fires appeared on the horizon. Its light intensified as the fires drew nearer, hundreds of them. I could see the glint of their armor even from atop the Castle stronghold. The night breeze carried the stink of vampires and dark magic, heading this way.

"They are coming." I warned Alucard and Greta. The glyphs illuminated my skin as the divine power coursed through my veins.

"And we are ready." Greta responded undaunted by the rising storm. She gathered all her fighters and spread them throughout the castle. A spearguard lined in front of the entrance, archers crowned every tower and parapet. Inside the castle gate, the main hallway was crowded by warriors and barricades, armed ready should the spearguard need to retreat.

Everyone who was capable of fighting, young or old, man or woman, was summoned for battle. Those who couldn't fight, the elderly, the injured, mothers and children, were sheltered in the wine cellar; the deepest part of the castle shielded by thickened walls and thresholds lined with salt. I set a magic barrier over each entrance for extra protection.

"I want to fight with you!" Aiden protested, hugging my waist. "No, this isn't your battle. You should be lucky to never see another fight in your life."

"But I'm tired of running!" Aiden cried. "I can wield a knife just as well as anyone! Let me stand and fight!"

"You're just a boy." I persisted, eyes flickering with an idea. "There is another way you can help." I showed Aiden, along with Amara, Magnus, and a few other refugees a secret underground passage leading out of the castle into a cave with a door in the local woods. "Vampires may have used it to travel to and from the castle in daylight. Should things get dire , take this passageway and get the hell outta Dodge. Don't return here until it's safe, and don't worry about me."

"I don't want to run again." Aiden said weakly.

"I know. I've a strong feeling this time will be different,and if you do have to run you'll be able to come back." I knelt and hugged the boy, kissing him on the cheek. "Keep a strong heart and don't give up hope. You've made it this far."

Greta called for me from the door and I ran to her, shutting it closed. "They're approaching the castle. Vampires and night beasts. I smell dark sorcery."

"So do I."

"Are you ready?"

I raised my staff in the air letting my glyphs shine. "Ready as I'll ever be."

The humans inside the castle's entrance waited in subdued fear. None of them were trained warriors, let alone vampire hunters. Even within the castle's strong fortified walls they feared for their very lives.

"They are afraid." Alucard murmured obviously.

"They have every right to be." Greta responded.

I breathed deeply and sang.

Bring to me all of my arrows
Bring to me my crossbow too
I fear we might need them both
Before the night is through

Once a world of glittering hope
This world is not the world I knew
The only light left to shine
Is between me and you

On our own
In a world of stone
We are not alone

Greta turned giving me a intrigued look, had she not felt the power in my voice she would've thought me crazy. Angels' voices manifested the power to influence the spirits of mortals. Be it giving them inner strength or humbling them in the presence of the divine, it literally could sway them to actions if they wished. My voice sounded nothing like what one would imagine. It wasn't heavenly or dainty like a maiden's song, rather sharp with the clarity of a ringing bell. Though nonetheless beautiful, least that's what Alucard remarked.