Getting to Know You

I awoke with the rooster's crow, stretching my limbs and yawning beneath the Glaring cloak I used as a blanket. Look out Danesti. Your local Guardian angel's on the job. I stepped out of bed and prepared for the day, brushing my hair and teeth, washing my face, and clothing myself. When I looked into the mirror with  the cloak draped around my shoulders, the eyes of a confident young woman stared back at me. "Let's see how you can make this world a  better place, shall we?" I took my staff. I was ready to do everything I could to protect these people.

Taking my step out the door I nearly tripped over the threshold. "What the heck are you doing down there!?" "You're awake!" 

The  refugee boy scrambled to his feet. "Sorry, I didn't mean to trip you. I was keeping watch in case any them beasties tried breaking in."

"Them beasties would've had an appetizing snack before getting the main course." I put my hand on my hip. "You were sleeping on the job."

" I stayed awake most the night." The boy answered sheepishly. " That's why they're called night creatures, they always attack at night."

"Not always, they can attack at any time but they're most active during night." I yawned. "You've wouldn't have done much asides getting mauled. Even if those fiends breached the ward around the village, my staff would alert me. It glows in the presence of night creatures."

 The boy frowned downtrodden. " I didn't know."

 "It's all right. I appreciate you looking out for me." I said kindly. "It's nice having someone watch your back."

 "It is my. honor." The boy smiled. "I'm Aiden." I introduced myself and asked where the village headwoman was. "That a way. I'll take you to her."

I wrapped cloak over my shoulders from the chill of the morning autumn air. People began to emerge from their homes. Those I passed by murmured a quick good morning  or gave  me a wide berth. They still didn't know what to make of me, perhaps more time among them will change that. "What happened to the rest of your caravan?" I asked Aiden.

"They were slain, ma'am. Vampires ambushed us on the road three days ago, we escaped while they were distracted with feeding." He gulped. "The village you sent us to was burned to the ground  a week after we arrived, and we had to flee again."

"I'm so sorry." I said mournfully. "Perhaps you'll finally find safety here."

"I know we will, you'll protect us." The boy kept close. 

"I'll try." I ruffled his hair, eyes drifting along the surrounding trees. "Did anyone else come in last night?"

"No. Just us and the other refugees you saw."

I nodded, digging my nails into the staff. 

"Aiden you better not be mucking about over there!! Where the hell have you been!?Get over here before I box your ears!" Aiden jumped at the shrill voice and ran to the woman with ragged straw hair who seemed older than she truly was. "Keep away from that witch, boy. She'll draw you in under her spell."

"She's not a witch, Maggie! She's good, and her magic's good too!" Aiden defended.  "She's a magician, and they are not to be  trusted. Especially one who beds a vampire." Maggie warned before sharply glaring at me. I clawed into my staff and gave her a quick glare of my own before moving on.

I found Greta at the village entrance talking with a group of workers and a few of her swordsmen from last night. Her scrutinizing gaze pinned on the splintered gate the  crab-men busted  through. "You're awake. Good. I was about to bang on your door and stir you out of bed myself." The headwoman addressed terse, and I feared  she was mad at me for sleeping in. "Relax." She quickly assured. "I jest, mostly." A chuckle murmured among her swordsmen. "I presume you're well rested."