Subtle Memory

I woke up from a sharp pain tearing through my pelvis and stomach like a searing knife wound. "For God's sake that hurts." I grumbled, cringing beneath my blanket as the pain ripped through my stomach. "I knew I should've cooked the venison more." I sat up gritting my teeth from the cramps seizing my gut. "Oh shit! " I gripped the blanket with veined knuckles, eyes locked in horror on the bloodstained bed-sheets.

I might have been amnesiac, but I knew exactly what happened. (Even if I didn't, the medical books gave me information enough.) Getting my Moon Bleed wasn't what instilled a deep rooted terror for my life, I knew I'd be fine. Getting my Moon Bleed in the castle of a vampire.....

"I gotta get out of here." I frantically wiped the blood from between my legs and pushed the sheets out the window, wrapping a tight cloth within my gown. "Stay somewhere else for a week while this runs its course. I won't be gone for long. I scribbled a quick note for Alucard.

The blood seeped out and I felt like a wounded seal in shark infested waters. Alucard wouldn't hurt me on purpose, but the presence of blood would've easily triggered his vampiric instincts. Why didn't I think of this before!? This was bound to happen eventually, and didn't come up with a freaking game plan.

The knock on the door nearly gave me a heart attack. "Are you alright in there? You haven't come down for breakfast."

"I'm fine! Actually no! I'm feeling unwell and I need to rest, so I won't be out . Just stay away and let me rest. Give me a week. I don't want you catching this, it's very contagious."

"You sound fearful." Alucard responded concerned. "There's a strong smell coming from this room."

"Oh fuck!" I whispered. "Yeah, that's the smell of the sickness! Very bad!" I moved the furniture to reach the window. "Best stay away!" He must've heard me clambering up the furniture and sharply spoke my name . "What is going on in there?"

"Nothing!" I pried the window open trying to fit through. "Ohhh these cramps! It's bad! Aaah!" I lost my footing and fell. Alucard quickly unlocked the door and found me lying on my back with blood seeping from my pants. 

"What the bloody hell are you doing?" 

"Stay away from me!" I scrambled away panicked. "I know we're close friends but the smell is too strong!"

"It's alright." Alucard knelt before me, his velvet voice soft and soothing. "I will never hurt you, not even with this. My human blood quells my vampiric instincts." His voice and the kindness in his gilded eyes lowered my hackles. Alucard walked me to the bath, filling the tub with warm water and adding a scented lilac vial. With his permission, I allowed him to scrub the inside of my thighs down my legs. The clear bath became crimson.

"Don't be afraid, you are not ill." Alucard reassured in his dulcet tone."It's just your Moon Bleed, nothing more. All human women go through it. Honestly I was little concerned it didn't occur sooner."

"You knew this would happen to me?" I raised my head."I hoped it would." Alucard replied. "This means your body understands it is human and......" he sighed with an amused look. "You are capable of bearing a child." I honestly didn't know what to think of that.

  I swished my foot awkwardly. "Don't expect me to act on that." 

Alucard chuckled. "Of course not! I'm only saying that because it means you are in good health."

I leaned against the bathtub, resting my head on the rim. "Wish you would've told me earlier." "You're right, I apologize." Alucard nodded sincerely. "I honestly didn't know how to tell you this. I'm not.....familiar with these matters."