Escape

Time stopped when gazing upon the unicorn in captivity . My sight and mind clashed , trying to comprehend fiction and reality blurring into one. It was a myth, a fantastical creature, yet there it was, languishing inside an iron cage bound by dark spells.  Its silvery white hide marred with scars, its leonine tail curled around its cloven hooves. Its neck craned listlessly, head more elongated than a regular horse. Its spiral horn sharper than any knife in existence, shimmering beneath the torchlight like a dragon's scales.

"Out of all the shit I've seen." Trevor murmured disbelieved. "A unicorn. An honest to God living unicorn. Am I dreaming?"

"Unfortunately not." I could hear the lividness in Sypha's voice. "How did the capture such a mystical being?"

"The same way they did in the legends." The girl trembled. "It was years before I was born, when the Elder was still a baby, they lured it out with a maiden and captured it. They still use young virgins to calm it down when they come to harvest its blood, I'm the latest one." She cast a hopeful look at the fading glistening air ( the invisibility spell wearing off.)

"Trevor, we have to free it." Sypha whispered enraged.

"Absolutely not!" Trevor snapped. "If we free this  thing it will rampage and kill everyone in this fortress."

"But it is a benevolent creature!" Sypha protested. "It wouldn't harm an innocent."

"Just because it's good doesn't mean it's nice." Trevor said. "Especially one that's been held captive and presumably tortured for its properties." I heard the creak of leather from his whip. "That pearly pony is the most dangerous thing in this cavern, if we let it loose, we raise chaos, and everything we've done will be for nothing. We need to find a way to safely extract the serum from its horn. Girl!" Trevor addressed the child. "See if you can calm it down while (Y/N) collects the serum."

"Me!?" I exclaimed. "Why's it gotta be me?"

"Because this was your idea and you should do the honors  getting the serum that will save your dear vampire's life." Trevor responded. "Besides, you're the only one out of both of us who can."

"And what is that supposed to mean?"

"What's the one thing that can tame a unicorn, princess?"

"So quick to assume that about me!" I quipped back. "What if I wasn't a virgin who couldn't drive, smart-ass?"

"You've got a mystical aura even I can sense, and those markings on your arm aren't tattoos ." I Trevor replied. I involuntarily rolled down my sleeves. "Now hop on to it." The outlining shimmer of his arm gave me an empty vial pilfered from the alchemy labs. "And hurry, the spell is wearing off!"

I walked next to the Whisperer girl, my staff glowing faintly in the light.  When the unicorn saw the girl, it rose onto its feet and screamed a sound more horrifying than anything from a night creature's throat.  Heck,  the night creatures themselves shrunk to the back of their cages like whimpering dogs hearing its cry. I covered my ears along with my companions, watching the girl run to it fearlessly.

"It's okay!" The girl cried, covering her own ears while trying to calm the unicorn. "They haven't come this time, I brought  a friend! She's here to save you!"

 I never imagined unicorns being this big or powerful. It certainly wasn't the dainty footed horse-deer in  tapestries! The unicorn was the size of an Irish elk with the sleek muscle and shape of an Arabian horse. Its horn glowed dimly from my staff's light and once it saw me, it snorted, stamping its hoof like an impatient steed. "It's all right." The girl soothed the unicorn. "She's not like them. She is like you."