Defender

The Legions of the Night never stood a chance.

We cut them down faster than a scythe through wheat, combining our strengths and weaponry as an unstoppable force. Alucard and his lightning fast sword and vampiric power, Sypha and her elemental magic, and Trevor wielding the Morningstar and a new weapon; A four bladed cross knife he threw like a deadly boomerang, decapitating the surrounding vampires with a quick swish and returning folded in his hands. In its sheath on his belt I saw the hilt of a knife glint with a fabled jewel.The Divine Blade! Checkmate!

A booming roar sounded from the hall beyond. The giant monster opened its molten maw, roaring at the Unicorn standing his ground. His silvery hide scratched, stomping his hooves and jabbing his bloodied horn. Blood oozed from its skin from the unicorn's piercing attacks. A sharp whistle drew the unicorn and the monster's attention to me.

The monster stomped forward, yawning wide its glowing maw and sending forth a beam of fire. Sypha repelled its flames, pushing it around us. Alucard sprung forward and shifted into a wolf, skirting round on the walls and landing a punch on its skull in human guise. Trevor lashed his whip, slicing the top of its head clean off like a watermelon. I whistled to the unicorn to get close, and when our friends clustered near me, I summoned a force field. The monster collapsed, crashing into the ground with a violent explosion, but my shield kept everyone safe. I sighed a heavy puff, lowering the shield. Can't do that too much.

Next, two great golems stomped our way as we rushed on. "Wait!" I halted my friends. "Don't kill them!"  They recognized the glint in my eyes and worked to stop them. Trevor bound the first one's arms with the whip, which  Sypha temporarily froze. I sprinted forward and leapt up, hovering on cloak-wings while I quickly inscribed the Sacred Name and whispered my command into its mouth. The golem's eyes changed from fiery read to bright blue as it restrained its companion, allowing me to inscribe the Name and whisper the command.

Now we had back up. The golems now aided us in our defense, crushing the remaining vampires and night creatures into bloody bits, shielding us from their attacks. What they didn't kill my companions did, until the hall was empty of enemies.

"We have to get everyone out of here." I breathed. "Take away the fuel to the fire." Trevor and Sypha had no idea what I meant, but understood the necessity of saving everyone we could. "Gather everyone to the main hall, from there we'll lead them to the secret passage in the cellar." We split off and rescued the scattered survivors. Trevor, Sypha, and Alucard went off on their own. I went with my newfound entourage of the unicorn and two Golems to evacuate people in the cellar.

Already a large fraction had infiltrated cellars , but luckily enough I came on time. "Everybody leave!" Enemies fell by staff, horn, and golem hands. I ushered the survivors further into the cellars and through the secret passage as more foes came. " Go with them." I told the unicorn, who stood by me with his sides blaring. He snorted and looked at me. "Lead them. They need hope. Let your light guide them through darkness." I placed my hand on his muzzle. "It's all right. I'll be fine."

The unicorn closed his eyes and nuzzled me before rallying them into the passage, his light diminishing down the way until it vanished. More refugees poured in, and more rushed out. "Everyone, follow the unicorn!" I ushered them through when the forces broke in. Gathering all the strength in body and soul, I defended the fleeing refugees , standing between them and the onslaught of vampires, blasting them back with every offensive attack and barricading the enemies from their victims with a wall of holy flame. The unicorn whinnied but obeyed me, leading them through. I heard Aiden cry my name before it was lost in the tunnel.

More vampires poured in, many meeting the sharpness of my blade or burning from holy flame. My glyphs burned, but I couldn't pause to refresh my strength. Even the golems couldn't withstand the power of the vampiric wizard. One defended me well enough it crumbled, and the other was deactivated when a vampiric wizard brushed the Sign off its forehead. I slew the vampires near the upper door as more refugees ran in, crossing through the fire unscathed. Alucard probably told them where to go, good. Made things less easier on my part.

The ground trembled as the enormous scarlet-armored Vampire stepped in, protected from holy magic by an occult mark carved into his skin. I confronted and fought the vampire, barring him from the flames, but I was already weakened. He pretty much stomped me into the ground, slashing and gnashing me into the dirt.

"Your gallantry is wasted." He forced me down. "You can't kill me."

"Killing you wasn't the point." I glared at him defiantly. The last of the refugees had fled through, leaving only my companions, Greta, and a small score of those who still wished to fight inside the castle.

With a bloodied hand I struck it to the ground. A shockwave erupted from the staff and the ceiling collapsed behind me, permanently covering the door and passage beneath stone and rubble.

The vampire snarled furiously and a sharp pain tore through my belly with a jolt. I didn't see the vampire flee, my vision faded out, but I heard his bat wings fly out fast.

Alucard found me hunched on the ground, gripping both hands from my staff, bleeding from the vampire's wound and my glyphs. The stab wound wasn't fatal, the chainmail beneath my cloak made sure of that, but I'd pushed too far. My magic and energy depleted to a critical point I couldn't easily bounce back from.

Alucard sharply called my name and rushed to me.

I struggled my words out. "Get our friends to your old room and stop Saint Germain. Destroy the Alchemist key and the Rebis. Trevor has the Divine Blade, if that Grim old bastard shows up......" My body shivered. "There's still some hope."

"I am not leaving you behind!" Alucard snarled.

"You have to." I gasped. "I've used the last of my strength. I'll be no good to you......." I've never felt so exhausted in my life. Whatever remaining energy remained seeped out of me like  the blood from my wounds. Alucard cradled me in his arms, pressing me against his body .  My heart beat faintly against his chest.

"You fucking idiot." Alucard hissed  nuzzling my forehead. "You must regain your strength! Get up!  Don't you dare give up on me!"

"I'm not giving up." I shuddered. "I'm just.......tired.........give me time to rest and..........I'll bounce back.......I'm really tired."

"Damn you get up!"

"I can't get up right yet. Didn't you hear me?" I chuckled despite the ache in my ribs.

"This is nothing to laugh about!" Alucard bared his fangs. "Please! Dear God please......!" His chest shuddered as tears fell from his eyes.  "Don't leave me......"

"Then stay with me until I recover." I smiled at his beautiful face. "You were always there.....when I was at my weakest. I'm an idiot thinking you'd leave me now." I touched  foreheads with my beloved.

"No. No. Please." I didn't understand why he was crying.

"You're the best thing that's ever happened to me."  Alucard whispered, touching  lips to my cheek and holding me close to his heart. "I love you."

I smiled, my cheeks warm against the cold drip of his tears. "I know. I love you too. " Feeling safe nestled in his arms I closed my eyes, letting  peaceful sleep take over me and hearing a distant, anguished scream.