A Message of Adulthood II

If you do happen to know someone who is unemployed, here are the things to avoid:

1) "Do you have a job already?"
While it's good to know what your relative or friend is up to, this also comes off as too personal and intrusive. Just ask what they've been up to lately. They'll tell you once they've aleeady got one.

2) You're not even trying. / You're not even looking hard enough.
Do you even see them staying up late while looking at job sites and sending applications? This isn't encouraging at all. You are implying that the person hasn't made efforts in your eyes. At least recommend something they might be interested in.

3) "How come you're still jobless? This guy/gal just graduated from university and got the job in a week!"
Not everyone is gonna be in the same league. There are others who just happen to be lucky so expecting your friend or relative to be the same won't help at all. Just say "Don't worry, you'll get there."

4) "This is where you got wrong ... "
Unless this person asked for your advice, you are only bringing that person down. In fact, people have different methods of job hunting. There are people who send resumés, engage in events where they might get job recommendations, help out at their uncle's store and post artworks on social media for potential companies to discover.

5) "You're going to love this one!"
A lot of people can be picky about whatever job they want and that's fine. They are considering something that is both enjoyable and beneficial at the same time. It doesn't guarantee they'll be interested in whatever occupation they see on the ads.

6) "You've got so much time in your hands. What do you do all day?"
The usual, but with job hunting on the side.

7) "You're not working? Well, you must be lucky!"
Not only do these people wish to be in your shoes, they also would like to have a job like you. At least you're productive most of the time!