The Stain That Used to be my Friend

A/N: HUGE TRIGGER WARNING FOR GORE AND DEATH. This is based off the song Kagerou Days.

Veteran held Player's hand as they sat on the swings. He hums lightly as the cicadas hum and a gentle breeze blows, relieving him from the heat very slightly.

Player smiles as well, holding Veteran's hand as he held his. He yawned, rubbing his eyes. The heat made him very sleepy, like it always did.

The cat in Player's lap purred and Player scratched it's little ears. The cat playfully nibbles his finger and Player chuckles. He yawns again.

"I think I'm gonna go home... I'm sleepy." Player yawns, rubbing his eyes again. The cat hops from Player's lap. Player follows after the cat as Veteran walked behind Player.

Player goes into the road after the cat. A screech of breaks and a scream of agony before silence is heard. Veteran's eyes widen as he tastes a slight bit of blood.

Veteran looks to the road, eyes widening more. That wasn't Player, only a stain of what's left of him. "No... No...

He screams, breaking down near the puddles, the lasts remains of Player. No dull eyes, only the mangled remains of a body. A body that was his boyfriends. Veteran almost touches the body to prove it was real, but the smell was enough.

Veteran sits by the body, eyes glazed over and teary, for god knows how long. He gets up, wandering home in a daze for what feels like hours. He plops into bed and stares at the ceiling.

He didn't like summertime anymore. His eyes drift shut and he expects to wake up to a horrible August 16th.

Veteran groggily awakes, emptily checking his phone. It was 12:30 on... August 14th.

"What?" Veteran says, rubbing his eyes. He gets up, numbly walking out to his spot. His and Player's spot. He tears up again and continues walking.

He gets to their spot and Player- Veteran holds back a gasp. Player was alive and well. Perhaps it was just a dream.

But it felt so real... Veteran sits next to Player and holds his hand. He then contemplates for awhile, deciding he didn't want to be in this spot anymore.

"Hey, Player, Firefly? Can we play some video games?" Veteran asks quietly.

Player kissed Veterans forehead. "Of course... Is something bothering you."

Veteran nods. "Trippy dream... I don't want to be in this area. I want to go home."

Player nods. He holds Veterans hand and starts to walk to Veterans house. On the way home he hears something strange. He looks up.

Before Veteran knows it, Player is impaled with a pole through his stomach, body sliding to the ground as blood goes everywhere.

Veteran screams hysterically, holding his dead boyfriends hand. "What did I do? What did I do?!"

He sits there again, the smell of blood on hot cement and the asphalt burns his nose. He holds the cold hand. Cold hand. It sunk in more.

He eventually gets up and once again wanders home, never to be the same again. Nothing would be the same. Not without his Firefly.

He sits on the ground in his home and the day fades into night. The night fades into day.

Veteran wakes up in bed on August 14th, 12:30 pm. Again. This goes on for days. Death upon death, day by day. Again and again.

Veteran blinks. This would be the final August 14th and he was sure of that. No more death, no more loops. No more.

He goes to the swing set and sits by Player. He wanted Player to stay alive this time. He wanted to cuddle and hold him.

"Want to take a walk together?" Veteran asks, smiling softly at his still alive boyfriend.

Player nods with a giggle, holding Veteran's hand. The two walk and talk about having kids sometime, sometime in a future Veteran has lost hope of having.

Player went to cross the road as a truck had ran the light. Veteran pushes Player out of the way from the road, feeling a blinding pain and then nothing. Veteran had succeeded.

And then Player woke up, on that same August 14th, 12:30 noon.