Hometime

This is a longer chapter with not a lot of Nat but it's setting up for a lot more time with Nat. Don't worry ❤️‍🩹

Flying home left a weird feeling in my stomach. I thought back to the flight to France when I kept stealing looks at her. This time I openly watched Nat work, there was something about the way she chewed on her pen while she concentrated that made me feel soft inside. A softness that was quickly replaced with doubts, as always my mind raced a head thinking of what might be and what could happen between us. I wanted it to work I really did but the last few weeks of experiencing a normal life probably wouldn't come around again anytime soon. I sighed and shut my eyes and tried to sleep for at least a few hours, there was no easing back into the working life. Once the plane it the tarmac I was expected to be back on duty and chasing my career and who knows what Nat was doing next!

My eyes fluttered open a while later. I'm not sure how long I'd slept but the feeling of Nat's lips on my neck pulled me back out of a dream I'd been having. I turned to face her and meet her lips, I was going to miss the feel of her against me.
"Are we nearly back?" I asked trying to see where we were out of the window.
"Yep, about an hour and you're home...I've got to head straight off...I wanted to stay a couple of days at the base but you know...duty calls" she handed me a bottle of water that was still cold. I drank it quietly trying not to let my sadness show. Would it be needy to ask her when I'd see her again? I let the cool water run down my throat as I chose my words carefully.
"Do you know how long your mission will last?" So maybe I wasn't very good at being subtle.

"Why you gonna miss me agent?" She smirked and then softened into a what can only be described as a cheesy smile. "Few weeks... don't worry, I'll keep in touch"

The rest of the flight went by too quickly. Turns out kissing is the quickest way to lose track of time. We said our goodbyes very quickly and then she was gone. A heaviness washed over me as I saw the jet disappear into the sky. Suddenly the base didn't feel as homely as it once did, my home was wherever she was. I shook the thoughts from my head, I still had a job to do and it wasn't like I wouldn't see her again.

I'd barely made it to my room when the rapping on my door began.
"What...oh sorry. How can I help?" Nick Fury was stood outside my door with raised eyebrows at my initial tone.
"Welcome back agent, better get repacked quick your next mission is ready to go..."
"What mission?" I'd barely been back 10 minutes, I'd not been prepped for anything, good thing I'd slept on the jet!
"The mission you're leading" He held out a stack of files for me to take. Me? Leading a mission? That can't be right unless Nat had pulled some strings... I instantly bristled, I didn't want her help- I wanted to prove my capability alone.
"Is this because of Nat?" The words blurred out of my mouth before I could think about what I was saying.

Fury stared at me with the greatest poker face of all time. "No. This is not because of Romanoff. I do not grant favours... it was your mission before you left for France it's just been on hold. I believe you're ready if you wish to accept?" The files still hung in the air between us. I didn't move for a second and he began to lower the files when finally my brain kicked into gear and I grabbed them from him.

I quickly began flicking through them, this wasn't a simple recon mission. This was some serious shit... some I should maybe write a will kind of shit! I stared at him and then back at the files, they couldn't be serious. I was being sent in to some classified location to steal a classified item. I looked at Fury again.
"I'm the one going on the mission and yet half the information is classified. I don't even get to know where I'm going? This is insane!"
He simply shrugged, "nature of the beast Agent, do you want the job or not?"
I looked through the file one more time and then against my better judgement agreed to take on the job. I'm not sure I ever really had a choice!
"Good, flight leaves in 45minutes" and with that he was gone.