Rescued

I knew I wasn't really awake, I felt trapped in some kind of dream that didn't have an escape button. I just kept walking and walking into nothing. I sighed impatiently as my feet kept pulling me forward, I couldn't remember how I'd got there but I couldn't do anything to change my circumstances I just had to walk. I could almost hear the echos of voices bouncing off the golden cliffs that seemed to surround me. I let the walking continue for what could of been hours or days. Who really knows.

I was getting sick of it but still my feet didn't hurt. Eventually I stopped. The same gold cliffs surrounded me on the road to nowhere just as the road showed no sign of ending. I took a deep breath and sat on the floor. Maybe I just needed to wait, something was happening, I hadn't been able to stop before and now here I was sat on the floor hunting for memories and listening to echoed voices I couldn't quite make out.

"Why the hell did you send her in?"
"She was ready! You're a distraction"
"That was a suicide mission..."

I knew I should remember who the voices belonged to but they just weren't clicking with my brain until...
"Baby...it's time to come back"
I sprang up from the hard ground, it seemed to be trying to hold onto me. I knew that voice. It was her! I looked back the way I'd come and the way I was meant to be going but the voice wasn't there anymore. It was time to get back home, back to her.

The hard ground was gone and replaced with a soft mattress. The room was dark, I wasn't sure if I was alone or where I was for that matter. I lay quietly keeping my breathing even and tried to work out what was going on. There wasn't enough light for me to see properly so I carefully moved my hands around me. I was hopeful that someone on the right side had picked me up, no handcuff so far so good. I continued my silent search with my hands trying the gage the size of my bed when my hand collided with something or should I say someone.

"Punching me in the face isn't much of a thank you" Natasha's very sleepy voice sounded from my left.
"It's for falling asleep on the job" I croaked back at her my voice catching in my throat. God my mouth was dry. I was so happy she was here by my side wherever here is.
"Yeah well you were boring me" she spoke softly as she moved around the room. Slowly a soft light began to glow, not so bright it hurt my eyes but enough to see the concern etched into her eyes. Machines beeped around me and it dawned on my very quickly I was in some kind of hospital room. She was about to ask me a question but my bottom lip suddenly started to tremble, it was hitting hard how close i'd come to never seeing her again, to surviving.

I silently held out my arms and with long strides she fell into them holding me tight into her chest.
"Don't do that again or I'm getting you put on desk duty" she whispered with a cracked voice into my ear. We stayed like that for a while quietly breathing into each other.
After a while things started falling into place. The fight, the pilot, the bodies...
"What happened out there?" I asked raising a hand to my face. I knew I must have been on so crazy painkillers, I couldn't feel anything but I could feel how swollen and scabby and stitched up my face was. Of course it had to be the face.
"Fury needs to debrief you... I was meant to get him when you woke up but I wanted you to myself for a minute" she kissed me softly pulling my fingers away from the bandage I was picking at around my eyebrow. I smiled into her lips savouring the moment.

"Nat..." I couldn't stop the quiet moan as I kissed her hungrily. She pulled back smirking.
"You know how much trouble I'd be in if we ripped your stitches half an hour after you woke up?" She kissed me quickly then stepped away from the bed like she wouldn't be able to stop herself.
I pouted at her frowning, "like you care about getting in trouble"
"No but I do care about you, and erm if you get hurt" she seemed to stumble over the words, "I need to get Fury"

"Agent you gotta take sometime to recover" Fury's voice boomed into the room. I flinched at the noise, I hadn't realised how quickly I'd been falling back asleep without Nat's company. I pulled my eyes back open and nodded sleepily.
"Romanoff here has agreed you can stay with her at the compound" he continued on like it was any other day in the office. Not even a get well soon present! Nat stood quietly behind him watching the room like a hawk, it was as if she was ready to spring into action and save me from..I don't know maybe a rogue nurse.

My eyes were feeling heavy as Fury continued to dodge questions about what had happened. It wasn't until I felt Natasha's hand on my shoulder that I realised I'd fallen back asleep mid debrief. It was just me and her, I grabbed her hand and held it close to my cheek. I didn't want her to ever let go again.
"Stay with me?" I asked weakly, "I don't wanna sleep alone tonight" I half expected her to say she had to go back to work but she just quietly nodded and settled back in the seat beside my bed.

"What's that face for?" She asked raising an eyebrow. Clearly I needed to work on my poker face.
"You're not really going to sleep in that chair?" I frowned with half an eye open.
"You're injured baby..." she said softly taking my hand into hers and kissing my bruised knuckles softly.
"I'm not going to break if you share the bed with me" my eyes were closed now but I'm sure I could hear the eye roll.
Natasha sighed loudly, which made me smirk. I was definitely about to get my own way. I felt her move onto the mattress next to me and suddenly her arms were around me and I let sleep wash over me.

Natasha started making moves to get me out of the hospital the next day. She said I could recover better at the compound and that she had a much bigger bed if I was going to insist on making her sleep with me every night. I didn't expect my first trip to the avenger compound to be as an invalid. But Nat wheeled me into my new home, well for the next few weeks anyway!