| eight ; going home

the shadow in the light

chapter eight; going home

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

"energy and persistence conquers all things."

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

"as expected from a boss-grade monster. the drops are excellent," jin-woo noted as he looked at the several lights sparkling on the body.

as jin-woo inspected the drops and rewards, y/n was looking around at the battleground. she laughed slightly when she saw iron dragging vulcan's head to jin-woo after cutting it without anyone noticing.

"y/n?" jin-woo called out and she responded with a hum. "yeah jin-woo?"

"did your parents ever tell you about something...secretive of your power?" he asked.

"secretive? not really," she answered. "why?"

jin-woo pursed his lips, contemplating on whether he should tell her about being a player like him.

"you know, if there's something wrong, you can tell me," y/n said with a smile.

"...nothing's wrong," jin-woo responded after a while. y/n hummed and kept her sword back into her inventory.

"let's keep going."

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

on the 75th floor, the two hunters encountered the second boss. jin-woo needed less than 400 souls remaining for the quest to be completed.

when metus, the guide of the departed souls, discovered jin-woo's presence, it used a magic spell. using its skill, metus called upon an army of the dead rose up from the ground.

"iron, igris." jin-woo called along with the rest of his shadows. "open up a path."

at the command, igris and iron ran with incredible speed. the distance to metus closed up instant.

"are you surprised by how strong my kids are?"

metus and jin-woo's gazes met mid-air as a grin formed on jin-woo's face, "you didn't expect this did you?"

can the undead feel fear?

"well, it doesn't matter," jin-woo muttered before slicing up metus's face. his daggers left behind dozens of afterimages.

————————
YOU DEFEATED THE GUIDE OF SOULS, METUS
————————

metus fell to the ground weakly. jin-woo kept his daggers in his inventory and nodded towards y/n, who walked up to the deceased body of metus.

"this guy's magic was powerful and he was able to control hundreds of more summons that i am able to. i wanted to turn him into my shadow soldier but..."