| forty nine ; eternal love

the shadow in the light

chapter forty nine; eternal love

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

"i seem to have loved you in numberless forms, numberless times... in life after life, in age after age, forever."

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

a/n: note, i'm changing the time gaps so that it'll fit this story more

"you've ended our war."

jin-woo sniffed as he gripped the pendant in his hand. within seconds, y/n was gone from his arms. she left in golden ashes, just like how his father did.

"i don't know how i could ever properly show you my appreciation."

jin-woo looked up at the fragment, "i have a request."

"a request?" the fragment repeated.

"it's something only you can do for me," said jin-woo.

"i'll do anything within my power to aid you," the fragment noted.

"once more..." jin-woo muttered. "could i use the cup of reincarnation once more?"

"did you just ask whether you could use the cup of reincarnation to turn back time?" the fragment questioned.

"that's right," jin-woo answered as he fastened the pendant around his neck.

"even if you were to turn back time using god's gadgets, the consciousness of the higher beings will remain and lucia's vessel would not be there to help you," the fragment stated. "you'd still do it even though the deceased monarchs would come back to life with their memories from this life intact?"

"yes," jin-woo said. "this time, don't send anyone to earth. i'll take care of the monarchs and their armies by myself in the dimension gap."

"you're willing to take on the entire war by yourself...?" the fragment whispered. "what's your reason for doing this? we've used the cup of reincarnation many times, and this is the best result we've gotten."

"i... i lost too many people in this battle."

jin-woo's lips trembled as he looked down at the pendant around his neck.

"i want to bring them back," he declared.

"the cup of reincarnation has almost been exhausted," the fragment mentioned. "if you are to fail, you will not be able to turn back time again. if you stop now, you'll forever be remembered as the hero who stopped the invasions of the monarchs. however, no one will remember the fight you are going into now. if you are to lose, annihilation will wait. if you win, no one will congratulate you. do you still wish to turn back time?"

jin-woo stayed silent before he stood up with a smile, "if y/n isn't here, then i don't care. i will go back in time, end the monarchs and save her."

the fragment saw the determination in his eyes and couldn't help but remember similar words he heard in the past. words he heard from ashborn after they encountered one another.

"i'll do anything to save lucia. i lost her once, and i will not lose her again."

the fragment smiled at jin-woo, "you remind me of your predecessor, ashborn, quite a lot. i understand your will. i wish you the best of luck."