24| Cheese in the trap

♡♡♡

XENIA

I threw the ball to the ceiling and watched it bounce back to me. I kept on repeating the process as my thoughts wandered. It seemed absurd that Milo had been ignoring my calls and whenever I went to check the court at school or his house he was unavailable.

"Oh, Milo?" His mum smiled at me and was about to call for him up the stairs when she noticed someone telling her something. I couldn't see or hear the person. She suddenly turned back to me with her hand on the door. "Milo went to check out admissions!" She blurted.

My eyebrows furrowed and I asked, "Admissions?"

"Yes." She breathed. "So I'm sorry he's not here and I'm very busy so bye." She shut the door in my face. Taken back and stunned I stared at the door.

"Xenia! Lunch is ready!" The cook said behind the closed doors of my room. I grabbed my ball and got off my bed, "I'll be down in a minute."

Before I went down for lunch I checked my phone again to see if Milo had contacted me. It was all to no avail. I had no notifications from him. I sighed in defeat and dropped my phone back on the table because it wasn't allowed on the dining.

The tensed aroura in the air when I got to the dining could be sliced by a knife. My dad sat upright and watched me take a sit. My mum had on her signature red lipstick, she wore a white gown and had her hair tucked behind her ears with pins. She turned to me as I took a seat.

"Mum, are you going somewhere?" I interrogated and wondered why the house was so silent.

She nodded and turned to my father as she confessed, "I have to visit an old friend today."

My father's eyes were emotionless as he glared back at her and neither of them broke the stare. My dad stared at her through his square glasses and she stared through her well-curled eyelashes. Her lips curved into a dangerous smirk that seemed friendly but I knew better. It wasn't a stare that couples share, no it seemed like they had death in their eyes. It was a stare of power.

"Anyways, I'm hungry." I drew in a breath as I scanned the delicious dishes set on the table. My mum broke the stare and turned to me.

"Dig in." She said and handed me the pasta.

~~~~~♡♡♡~~~~~

I thought about what Quinn told me the other day. Was Milo giving me a sign through my sister? To meet him at Lindy's by six. I checked the time on my phone it was almost six.

I was at the court in school to practice but I was hoping Milo would walk through those doors but he didn't. Did he disappear to escape from the pressure?

I sighed and texted Ryan to take my mind of Milo.

Me: Hey babe. I kinda miss you, let's meet up.

It seemed weird that he didn't reply immediately, he always did. I sat on the first bleacher as my breathing filled the court considering that I was the only one there. At home my dad locked himself in his study and when he does that we just leave him alone. My mum went out immediately after breakfast.

My phone dinged and I unlocked it. It was a message from Ryan.

Ryan: I can't.

Take back at the response I chuckled and shook my head. Better go back to finding Milo. I packed up and left the court. I have to go myself.

The sun was beginning to set and it created a beautiful scene in the sky. Not many people were present in school, only a few. As I walked out the light breeze hit me and I adjusted my bag. Three gymnasts walked past me in their practice clothes.