Overprotective - Poly

Requested by Kai588 / kaiSmithfan900

🖤🤍❤️💙

The school bell sounds and swarms of students exit through classroom doors and towards the main exit of the school, the talk of weekend plans echo across the empty halls. The swarm of students begin to fan out, all of them ready to have a two-day break before their week begins again.

Kai exists his classroom, gently closing the door behind him. Going to the left, Kai makes a beeline for his locker. Opening it up, he grabs the few books he stuffed in there when he first arrived at school before stuffing them into his backpack. He zips up his backpack and swings it over his shoulder before closing his locker, jumping when he spots Cole on the other side.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."

"It's-you didn't scare me!"

A low chuckle escapes Cole's throat and he stands up straight, his backpack staying balanced on his left shoulder.

"Sure I didn't," Cole says sarcastically, a joking smile on his face.

Kai glares at him and lightly swats the taller teens arm. The action causes a soft blush to dust across Cole's face, completely unnoticed by the smaller teen. Locking his locker, Kai slips the key into his pocket and follows Cole towards the main entrance.

It's a Friday, meaning Cole was heading over to the other side of the school to meet Jay and Zane so the trio could walk home together. It also means that Kai is walking that way to get to the bus as Nya stays over for a study group with Skylor and Pixal.

The silence between the pair is deafening. Kicking a rock with his shoe, Kai addresses the taller.

"Do you have anything planned for the weekend?"

Cole almost jumps, not expecting Kai to break the silence between them.

"Eh, nothing much. Probably just hanging out with Jay and Zane."

Kai murmurs a quiet oh, allowing the pair to fall into silence again. The late afternoon sun shines down on the pair, the warm rays illuminate Kai's face, causing a blush to dust across Cole's cheeks. Kai nudges Cole with his elbow and waves at Jay, who waves at them, Zane standing just behind him. Cole waves back before turning back to the shorter.

"Do you wanna walk with us? We're going through the park."

Kai's eyes widen in surprise, having not expecting the sudden invite. Kai's dark eyes blink thrice, confusion and shock lacing in them. Looking up at him, Kai nods slowly.

"Sure," Kai's uncertainty laces through his voice.

Jay and Zane walk over. Zane pecks Cole's cheek, causing the taller to blush heavily. Jay giggles and loops his fingers through Zane's, squeezing gently.

"You coming with us Kai?" Jay asks, smiling at the mentioned teen.

A moment of hesitancy stretches between the four.

"Sure."

🖤🤍❤️💙

Children squeal as they dart past the four, playing a game of chase in the sun. The park is filled with people and noise, most people have decided to come after school had finished or after the school run.

Jay looks around, squeezing Zane's hand gently. His eyes land on an ice cream van and they widen and a large smile comes across his face.

"Can we get an ice cream?! Please," Jay looks up at Zane, hoping for a yes.

"Sure."

Jay cheers and darts off into the crowd, heading for the ice cream van.

"Jay-wait. I will go after him."

Zane heads in the same direction Jay went, trying to keep up with his enthusiastic boyfriend. Cole giggles and then looks at Kai. His giggle stops when he notices the distracted look in Kai's eyes, his shoulders tense.

"Are you okay?"

Kai jumps and looks up at him. He nods and goes back to staring at whatever he was looking at earlier.

What had he seen that made him so tense?

Cole doesn't have time to dwell on that question as Chen, the school bully, walks up to them.

"Hey weirdo," he calls out.

Kai jolts slightly as his eyes narrow at him. Chen walks closer and murmurs something to Kai. Cole's hands form fists at his sides, his fingernails digging into his palms. Cole doesn't catch what Chen says but from Kai's tense shoulders and his shaking fingers, he knows it's not good.

"Hey! Leave him alone."

Kai jolts and whips his head to Cole. Cole walks over to the pair, his eyes narrowing.

"Leave him alone. Now."

Before Chen can retort, Zane and Jay come back, two ice creams in their hands. They glance between the three.

"Leave them alone."

Chen turns on his heel and walks off.

"Thank you," Kai murmurs, not looking at any of them.

"It is okay. We know you do not like him."

"Do you want an ice cream to cheer you up?"

Kai looks up. Jay holds out a vanilla ice cream to him, nodding slightly. Kai reaches out and gently takes it, his cheeks turning pink when his fingers brush against Jay's. Jay's cheeks also turn a soft pink.

"T-Thank you."

"You're welcome," Jay smiles widely, making Kai's heart flutter.

The four enjoy their Friday afternoon in the park.

I'm not sure if this meets the request but I tried my best. Enjoy!