Sleep talk and panic attacks- Lava

Cole groans and turns over, slowly waking up. He slowly sits up and rubs his eyes. Cole reaches over to the bedside table and grabs his phone, checking the time. 3:00 am. Cole lays back down and curls up next to Kai, grabbing his hand. Kai squirms and groans slightly.

"Shh, it's okay."

Kai smiles in his sleep and snuggles into Cole's side. Cole closes his eyes again and tries to fall asleep again.

"Yellow is the imposter."

Cole jumps and looks over at Kai. His boyfriend is still asleep, clutching Cole's hand. Cole smiles and leans his head against Kai's chest.

"It's yellow!" Kai yells in his sleep.

"Hey, shh it's okay."

Kai stays silent. Cole closes his eyes again, desperately trying to fall asleep. Just as Cole thinks he's gonna get some sleep, Kai shouts again.

"It's f*cking yellow!"

"Kai, Kai wake up, it's okay."

"IT IS YELLOW! THEY MURDERED COLEY!"

"Kai, Kai wake up."

Cole sits up and gently shakes Kai, trying to wake him up. Kai doesn't move and continues to yell about a dream he's having about Among Us, which the team had played the previous evening. Cole feels tears prick his eyes when he can't get Kai to wake up. No, no, please. Please don't do this to me too. Please. I can't lose you too.

Cole shakes Kai harder, feeling more tears fill his eyes when Kai doesn't wake up. Cole shakes Kai's shoulder, starting to shake as he's trying to hold in his tears. Please don't do this to me.

Kai groans and slowly opens his eyes. Cole breathes a shaky breath of relief and keeps a firm grip on Kai's hand.

"Cole? You okay?" Kai sits up and grabs both of Cole's hands and rubs circles on his knuckles.

Kai looks into Cole's eyes and realises that they're full of tears. He pulls Cole onto his lap and strokes his hair gently. Kai rubs his back, concerned as to why his amazingly hot boyfriend is close to crying. Cole leans his head against Kai's chest, still shaking slightly. Kai heats his hands up and rubs them on Cole's back, trying to stop his boyfriends shaking.

"What's wrong Cole?" Kai asks gently.

"You...you...y-you wouldn't r-respond," Cole whimpers as a couple of tears roll down his cheeks.

"Shh, I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry," Kai rocks him gently.

Cole grips Kai's shirt, reminding himself that Kai's there.

"It...it...it reminds me...o-of my mum," Cole cries harder.

"No, no I'm sorry. Shh, I didn't mean to. I'm so sorry baby."

Cole shakes and cries into Kai's chest. Kai wraps his arms around Cole's waist and rests his head on top of Cole's, feeling his heart break when he feels Cole shaking underneath him.

"Oh sweetheart, it's okay. Shh, shh," Kai rubs Cole's back as his cries become heavier.

Kai grabs Cole's hands when he sees Cole's fingers shaking and rubs circles on Cole's palms with warm fingers. The small action makes Cole whimper softly and slowly stops shaking but is still crying.

"Cole, hey Cole, I need you to breathe okay?" Kai gently presses his thumbs down harder on Cole's palms.

Cole takes three extremely shaky breaths and keeps his head buried in Kai's chest. Kai continues to rub his back. Kai gently kisses Cole's forehead.

"I'm so sorry baby, I didn't mean to remind you of your mom. It's hard, I know. I know, shh. I've gotcha. I'm always gonna be here, I promise."

Cole weakly smiles and snuggles into Kai's chest. Kai smiles and rocks Cole gently, holding his head in a comforting way.

A few minutes later, Cole stops crying and leans against Kai. Kai kisses his hair and lays down, pulling Cole on top of him. Cole pushes his head into Kai's chest and keeps a tight grip on Kai's hands. Kai kisses Cole on his forehead, then his cheek and then Cole's nose. Cole blushes heavily and hides his face in Kai's chest. Kai laughs and wraps his arms around Cole. Cole slowly drifts off, keeping a firm grip on Kai's hands.

"I'll never let go of you baby, I promise."

Hey, guys, I hope you enjoyed this oneshot. It's based on this head cannon from my head cannons book: when Kai starts to sleep talk, and Cole is awake, Cole will try and wake him up. Kai doesn't respond as he is a heavy sleeper. Cole usually ends up having a panic attack as it reminds him of when his mum wouldn't respond to him when she was sick. When Kai wakes up, he pulls Cole on his lap and lets Cole cry into his chest. They often fall asleep in this position. Hope you're all staying safe and well.