You're not dead? - Lava

Requested by bunnieeeeeex

"Kai, you need to let go now," Cole murmurs into Kai's hair, kissing his forehead gently.

Kai whimpers and tightens his grip on Cole's shirt. Cole wraps his arms around Kai tightly. Kai has been feeling extremely clingy today. He's constantly been sat on Cole's lap and hiding in his hoodie. Although Cole finds this extremely adorable, he needs to go to the store.

"I'll be half an hour, I won't be long baby."

Kai reluctantly lets go but tugs on Cole's hoodie.

"Babe?"

"Can...can I have it?" Kai asks gently.

Cole smiles. "Of course you can."

Cole pulls his hoodie off and passes it to Kai. Kai grabs it and puts it on over his clothes. Cole smiles and blushes softly. Cole opens their wardrobe and grabs one of Kai's hoodies. He puts it on and smiles when he spots Kai blushing.

"I'll be back soon, I promise."

Cole leans down and kisses Kai, wrapping his arms around Kai's waist. Kai squeaks, kisses back and wraps his arms around Cole's neck. They stay like that for two minutes.

When they pull away, Cole strokes Kai's hair. Kai leans into Cole's touch.

"I'll be half an hour koala, I promise."

Kai smiles and lets go of him. "I'll be here."

Cole gently lets go of Kai and heads off to the store.

***
Kai is laying on his and Cole's bed. It's been two hours since Cole left and he hasn't messaged or rung Kai at all. Kai grips Cole's pillow in one hand and his phone in the other, with extremely shaky hands. Kai shakily scrolls through his phone, trying to find Cole's contact: baby 🖤🍰. Kai presses the call button.

"I'm at the gym or a bakery in the city. Bye."

Kai feels his eyes fill with tears. He tries again, praying that Cole will answer.

"I'm at the gym or a bakery in the city. Bye."

Tears stream down Kai's face as he desperately tries to get Cole to answer the phone. I can't lose you too. I've already lost enough people in my life, I can't lose you too. I promised to protect you and now...I've failed you.

Kai curls up around Cole's pillow, sobbing into it. Cole always answers his phone, especially if it's Kai, because he knows Kai will stress out if Cole doesn't answer.

***
Cole walks in the Bounty, holding a gift bag in his right hand. He quietly shuts the door.

"Cole?"

Cole jolts and looks up, spotting Nya in the doorway of the living room.

"Where have you been?! We've been so worried about you."

"Sorry, I had to get something for Kai," Cole whispers the last part.

"Oh...you might wanna go to him, he's really upset."

Cole sprints upstairs and into his room. Kai is still curled up around Cole's pillow, shaking and sobbing. Cole feels his heart brake and his eyes fill with tears.

"Oh sweetheart, shh it's okay," Cole runs over to Kai, pulls Kai onto his lap and rocks him gently.

Kai jolts and looks up.

"C-C-Cole?" Kai shivers.

"I'm here, koala. I'm here," Cole kisses his forehead and rocks him gently.

Kai cries into Cole's chest, griping his shirt and shaking. Cole lifts his hoodie up, allowing Kai to hide in it. Kai hides and pulls the hoodie down, so he's completely hidden from view. Cole continues to rock and hush Kai.

"I'm never gonna leave you. I promise."

Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed this oneshot. Hope you're all staying safe and well.