Chapter 3

Pov: Normal

After I came back nobody noticed I was gone. Just as I suspected, well except for that boy. But I told him that I was just sleeping in a tree and he believed me. And once my sister heard of this and thought I scratched myself on one of the branches she scolded me like she was the older of us two. Of Course, I don't really care, that was not what happened anyway. On my birthday my sister had prepared a cake for me, that was a walnut, vanilla, and blackberries. Which is my favorite cake flavor. It turned out that the previous Annette and I had the same taste for food. She also gave me a gift which is a handmade pendant that looks like a spider lily inside of an orb. I am not really someone who cares about wearing jewelry and I only accepted it because it was from my sister but I can't help but think the chosen flower is really fitting yet anonymous. Since the spider lily means rebirth and it is also a flower that means goodbye. This flower is often used at funerals to guide the dead in Japan. Though it can also be used on normal occasions as well. I wonder if this has the same meaning in this world and if so does she know about it?

Well, it is not like she has the intent with the notion of telling me to die. I gave her my thanks and she smiled at me with joy. I swear she looked like a golden retriever puppy. I could see her ears and wagging tail. For some reason, that boy was also there celebrating my birthday, though I had my suspicions I never thought that he would actually be here celebrating with us. I thought more like he would plan a way to challenge me in some way. Then he also gave me a present while acting shy. But why though I have no idea. Anyway, the present he gave me was a bookmark with roses drawn on it. I prefer this gift because it is practical and sense teacher started to teach here. He donated a lot of books to the orphanage. I have been reading them in my spare time. Though I dont get why both of my gifts are related to flowers. I don't think I seem like a flower person, not even before I remembered my past life.

Ah, it is probably a stereotypical thing, since young girls are supposed to like flowers.

Well, I don't either hate or like them so I don't really care if I get flowers or not.

Later that day the moment I have been waiting for has arrived. The Pentahast couple is here I adopt a child and just as in the game, they get smitten with my sister. Though i do feel slight hesitance of leaving her with them, it seems like they have also affected my sister's affection power. And just like the others they give me the cold shoulder, they tend to once in a while to coldly glare at me when the three of them bond. Why does it feel like they unconsciously hate others who are not under the spell? Though I do have my reservations about her getting adopted, I know that they will not treat her badly, sigh if only her power did not affect them then they can be a truly happy family. After a while, Both of them left with one of our caretakers and my sister ran up to me with a bright smile on her face.

"Sister, Mr, and Miss Pentahast said that they wanted to adopt us."

My sister says with a bright smile. She is practically glowing with happiness.

"Sister, I think you misunderstood something."

I tell her and she looks at me in confusion.

"I think that they just wanted to adopt you, not both of us."

I tell her with a serious tone.

"... What... no, no, no why... would they do that... I... I don't want to be separated from you sister."

She cries out, clearly upset.

"Lycia, don't you remember what I told you?"

I ask her.

"That... that I should take care of myself first."

She answers while sobbing.

"Yes, and getting adopted is one of those things, even without me it is in your best interest to get adopted by a loving family," I tell her and she nods in understanding, while she is still apprehensive, she doesn't complain anymore.

After three days the Pentahast couple comes to officially adopt Lycia, while my sister has some mixed feelings she is mostly happy to have a family again. In fact, all the kids at the orphanage are more upset than she is. They cry and beg for her to stay like she was their goddess. If I didn't know better I would think that my sister was the leader of an occult. Finely she walks to me to say goodbye while trying not to cry. And everyone stares dagger at me like it was some kind of bug.

"Well... I... guess this is goodbye." She says timidly.

"Don't worry, you will do great." I comfort her.

"I will miss you:" She says.

"Me too, promise me that you will be careful, there is a lot of nobility with bad intentions. And don't worry I will find a way so that we can see each other again. Even if it takes 50 years." I tell her and she seems comforted by this. She hugs me tightly before waving goodbye and goes to her new home.

Soon after Lucia got adopted, the people at the orphanage no longer treat me as a nuisance and have calmed down significantly but other than that they are still the same. For the last two months, a man just before his prime has been accompanying our teacher once every week. I can tell that this man is a powerful noble and he is most likely to be our teacher's master and the orphanage who donated to the orphanage. He introduced himself as Zack Evernight and all the adults treated him with the utmost respect. Though I believe that I recognize that name from somewhere, I wonder if he was a character in the game. But I do know that he must then be a side character. I seem to be observing all the children and especially that boy and me. It seems like he wants to evaluate something. But my intuition tells me that he has already done it on the first day and is only pretending that he is trying to decide who to adopt in front of the employees. Though I am not sure why. Until one day the director of the orphanage called upon me and that boy to the office. There we met our teacher and that man.

"I have called upon you as of today your life will change forever. But first, let me re-introduce myself. I am Zack Evernight, I am the king's younger brother as well as the grand duke and prime minister. Today I am here to adopt you Cris as my son and heir to the dukedom. I am also here to appoint Annette as my daughter's aid. You will be adopted and trained by my butler Benjamin who you have become familiar with."

He told us and I finally remembered who I was. He is the father of the villainess Cassi Evernight and he just told me that I will be her future aide. This is going to be troublesome, but she is not the villainess yet. If I remember correctly she did not turn into the path of evil until an accident happened. But I can't remember what. But if I am her aide maybe I can prevent it from happening or at least prevent her from turning evil. Then there will be one less villain to hurt my sister.

"We will leave now, so get ready then we will leave immediately," Benjamin says to us, and just as he said he left right after towards the Evernight mansion.