chapter 14

Once it ended it was time for everyone else to find a partner to dance with and of course a lot of young boys lined up to be Cassi's next dance partner. As this was her debut it was customary for her to socialize and maybe find a fitting suiter. So she expected the invitations. Her first dance partner is the first son of a baron's family that is known for its trade and businesses. So she took to the dance floor reluctantly leaving Annette behind. Annette decided to go to one of the buffet tables and pick something to eat and naturally watch over Cassi from a distance.

This did not go unnoticed by the young girls and some picked up the courage to go to speak with her. So a group of 10 girls walked up to her.

"Greetings, my name is Vivin Aliossa. Daughter of baron Aliossa, may I know your name?"

The highest-ranked girl of the group asks. Annette looks at her with an uninterested but respectful look.

"I am sorry but I have been told you the grand duke not to tell anyone my name for the moment. He wants it to be a surprise."

She answers with perfect mannerism that makes the girls feel even more lovestruck. While what she said was true she would actually tell them if she found them interesting. Unfortunately for them she just saw them as typical ladies from the upper class.

"Oh my, how mysterious. I won't push it any further then."

Vivin continuous.

"Tell me, would you care for a dance?"

She asks and the other ladies with her are a little upset that they did not ask him first.

"You are quite bold my lady, it is tradition that the man should ask the lady out."

Annette answers with a slight smirk.

"Oh, I am sorry. Do you not like it?"

Vivin says embarrassed as others would look at her as a shameless woman. This made the others a little bit happy that they did not ask first. It would be fine if he accepted the dance. But if he rejects or points it out that would be in a tough situation.

"Not at all, in fact, I would prefer if women could play a more active role in high society without being looked down upon."

She answers and Vivian gets very happy.

"Then, is that a yes?"

She asks.

"I am sorry but today is my lady's debut and it is my job as her aide to keep an eye for her. So that I can be there if anything goes wrong. If we dance I could not put all my attention on you. Wouldn't you feel sad then?"

She answers.

"Oh, too bad then. But can we at least chat for a bit?"

Vivin asks.

"Well of course my lady does not need me."

She answers and Vivin beams with happiness. That's when all the other girls start introducing themselves as they dont want to be lost in the background.

Seeing this the king, Hans and the Evernight's couple sees this.

"Oh my, I knew that she would be popular but not this much."

Liendra says, hiding her face behind her fan.

"Yes, she is quite the womanizer. She is even more popular than your sons combined."

Zack says teasingly to Hans and the king.

"Don't push it, she is still a girl after all and she is just more approachable than our sons." Hans says.

"You are right, your son makes all the ladies run away. I don't think you will ever get an heir. After all, he dont like ladies getting too close to him."

Zack teases.

"Hmph, if he dont find one when I turn 25 I will find one for him."

Hans says clearly upset about this topic.

"What are you going to force him to have sex to?"

Zack says and immediately gets hit by Liendra's fan.

"Watch your language, where in public. Even Annette is holding herself back."

She says.

"That girl is a professional actor when she wants to be. She just doesn't find the motivation to do it. Tell me, did you do anything?"

Zack asks and the other two men get intrigued hearing this. After all, one of them likes to gossip and the other wants to find dirt on Zack.

"I did not, you know she is actually quite fond of Cass so there's no way that she would ruin her day."

Liendra says she was being accused.

"Oh, it that is the reason then that is great news. That would mean that Cass is one step closer to gaining a loyal servant that would destroy anything in her way."

Zack says happily.

"Brother, is that not overdoing it?"

The king asks.

"No, that would be understating it. Let me tell you something. There are only three things that keep that girl going. And that is loved once, money and everything that she finds interesting. If you don't check any of these boxes she will either ignore or tolerate you. Or they will eliminate you if you set her off. And let me tell you she doesn't care if you are a beggar or a king of a powerful country. That is simply her nature." Zack answers.

"You are you implying that she may be after my life one day. And you dared to bring her into your household and train her?"

The king says glaring at his brother.

"Did you not listen, she won't do anything to you unless you set her off first. So you don't have to worry."

Zack answers.

"Alright, you always have a good eye for people. I will trust you"

The king says.

On the other hand, the third prince group is also talking and his brother takes notice of the commotion around Annette.

"I never thought I would see the day when I peasant would be so popular in high society."

He says.

"Come on Zerv, our uncle personally chose that person. He must have a noteworthy talent." Joseth says.

"I know, I just find it interesting, that's all. In fact, you two should be very, he might just take your spot on the most attractive bachelors in our kingdom. Especially your Alzid." Zerv says jokingly.

"Oh my, maybe I should befriend him so that I can reap all the benefits."

Alzid says with a smile as bright as the sun.

"You... I don't want you to go planning anything. He is my cousin's aide. Don't cause him trouble." Joseth warns.

" I am not, I just want to know him. After all, knowing everything about everyone is my family's job. Why else would I be friendly with every female I meet? After all, they are always in touch with the latest rumors." He answers.

"Well, I will let you do what you want but don't go to toy with him unless he is a threat," Joseth warns and Alzid just smiles at this. Joseth sighs as he knows that he is planning something in that head of his. He maybe known as the bright sun by outsiders. But he knows that that guy is actually a pure sadist that likes to toy with his prey. He can only hope that he would not be too interested in his cousin's aide.