Chapter 53

Annette battled in 3 more matches and now there are 2 more matches which decide 1,2 and 3 place. She is the second to last match and if she wins this match then she can compete for first place. The opponent she is facing right now is Clyde Icenfrost. Now she can finally face a challenge. There is no way that this person would be weak after all at the beginning of the otome game he was already a swordsmaster at the age of 20. So unlike the others she has faced, she would be disappointed if she was like the others, someone who looks strong and acts strong but is not actually that strong. These people were truly a disappointment, although it did seem that they would be a challenge sometimes but once she used her brain a little they were easily defeated. Is it that they are not weak, but her who is too intelligent for them? Do swordsmen not use their brains like mages do? She always thought that it was just a myth that swordsmen only use instinct to fight. Well, she knew that there would be some but not the majority like those who she was facing, or maybe she was just unlucky. 

The 2 of them entered the arena and before the match began Clyde spoke to her. " I hope that this will be a worthy fight." Annette smiles at this and answers: " I hope so as well." Then the referee signals the beginning of the match and so it begins. The 2 of them did not attack right away, instead, they put up their swords and stood still, looking at each other. Both are ready to stick at the right time. After a while, the 2 of them started to walk in a circle. But even though they are walking both of them are still positioned right in front of each other. Then Annette makes her move, she runs right at him and strikes him to the side. He blocks and Annette then strikes at his left. He blocks again and Annette jumps back. Then Clyde walks after her and makes a strike from above. Annette blocks it and now this is a battle of strangh. Annette's arms are shaking a little so she decides to kick him. He jumps back and she spins around to gain more momentum and strikes at his left. He dodges it and now they are at a standstill again. 

Then after a while this time it is Clyde who attacks first. He strikes to the left and she blocks it. He strikes again and this time she dodges backward. She then takes a step to the side and circles around and ends up behind him then she strickes. He responds by ducking down and then kicking her knee. But she is ready and jumps backward. He then stands up and runs towards her and slashes at her from down to up. She narrowly escapes and then both of them engage in a battle between their swords clashing. Their strikes and stabs are so fast that normal peapole can't see what is happening. All they can see is the sparks between the swords clashing. This goes on for over 10 minutes. Then suddenly both of them glide back and as if both of them have a tacktick understanding they decide that they will do one last attack that will determine the winner. Annette takes out her other sword and looks right at him. It is a stand and both of them are waiting for the right moment to attack. The public is in suspense and can't wait for what is going to happen next. It is just like the stand-off in Western movies of the Wild West between a cherif and their challenger. All wait for the one moment when the winner is decided. A silent anticipation, no one dares to make a sound. 

1 minuit, 2 minutes, 5 minutes they are completely still. But then the moment everyone has been waiting for both of them to make a move and run with all their might toward each other. Then when they both strike it all happens too fast and in the blink of an eye, both of them have passed each other and are not looking at each other. " It seems like I have lost," Annette says and is teleported off stage. Annette may have lost but she doesn't feel like she did. After all the goal was never to win and what she wanted to achieve was met. Swordsmanship was never her area of expertise so losing did not take a big hit on her. Clyde deserves to win and she could feel that he enjoyed their battle just like she did. She could tell that he respected her as an opponent and that is why she would have no hard feelings as the loser. But if he did not then she would not take this lying down. There is no shame in losing but if someone disrespects her then she will beat that person until they wish that they are dead. Doesn't matter if that person is a god or a devil. As long as she is alive even if she loses again and again she just needs to get stronger until she has achieved her goal. Besides, if he did disrespect her then she just needs to show him how strong she really is. After all in the 3 tournaments both magic and swords are allowed. Even magical tools and contractual beasts are allowed. She doesn't believe that she can't beat him if she goes all out. She may be weaker than him in swordsmanship but if she was allowed to go all out, she doesn't believe that she can't win.