Chapter 39

The Evernight family and their guests are now in the dining room eating a luxurious meal that could almost be a big feast. While they are eating with an unusual quietness, Annette stands quietly behind Cassi's left side with a straight back and an unreadable expression. She expertly ignores Alzid's curious glances at her that hide his mischievous thoughts. And the prince looks at Alzid with a helpless yet disapproving look. Then at times looks at her with empathy, knowing that she is his friend's new pray. He probably that she will easily fall victim to him like all the others, but he knows that he is incapable to stop it. Cassi and Cris on the other hand are bored out of their minds as they are not used to having a quiet dinner time at home. Cris tries to distract himself by focusing on eating while Cassi plays with her food. Grand Duchess Elendra on the other hand is eating just fine as the respectable high-class lady that she is. Zack on the other hand is observing Alzid trying to figure out his real purpose. When he realized that his target is not his daughter he looks relieved. But he soon realized that his target is her and then he looks at her with a mix of amusement and pity, not for her but for Alzid. It seems that he knows that she will not fall prey to him and thinks that it will become a fun show for him to watch. 

 Though she does not understand the pity in his eyes, it is probably not because of worry about Alzid and definitely not because of her, because he would not be amused if that was the case. He knows her too well then to be worried for her. No one spoke anything until dessert is served. 

"Finally, I was waiting for so long," Cris says.

"Dear, what made you so impatient today?" Elendra asks.

"It is just that it was so quiet today, I am not used to it... but dessert is always something that will make one happy."

"I agree Mom, cousin, and Huzen is making dinner time awkward," Cassi says.

" Cassi, apologize right now, it is not appropriate behavior to badmouth our guests in front of them." Elendra looks at her with a disapproving gaze.

" Your mother is right, you can only do that when they are not able to hear it," Zack says.

"You, so it is your fault that our daughter has gone astray. Here I thought it was just because she is in her teenage years." She says angrily.

"There is no need to worry grand duchess, I don't mind. I am an uninvited guest after all." Alzid says with a sunlike smile that almost sends shivers down Annette's spine. That pretentious bastard! Of course, the grand duchess does not know this and her impressions of him increase tenfold. " You are such a good boy, I wish my husband could be a lot more like you, after all, everyone likes a gentleman." She praises him wholeheartedly. This of course makes Zack ticked off but he hides it well under his usual smile. Gentlemen my ass, that brat is a sadist trough and trough. He just acts like one. Since when is my wife so easily fooled? The prince has the exact same thought in his mind but instead of being mad, he has just defeated.

"Thank you, you praise me too much," he says with fake embarrassment. " You are being too modest, be a little more proud of yourself." She says.

" I will keep that in mind." He says.

"Good, now tell me I have not been concerned with the younger generation other than my children lately, do you have a fiance?" Hearing this question a foreboding feeling comes over not only Zack and the prince but Cassi too. "No, I don't, why do you ask?" Alzid asks. " Oh, then how about getting engaged to my daughter?" The whole room froze right there and then. Even Annette and Alzid have the same reaction. Only Cris was immune to it all eating his dessert joyfully. Until finally Zack comes back to his senses and says: " No, I don't agree with this."

" Ah, I know you well and I know that she will never get married if I step in, you daughter-loving fool. So I need to step in and find her a good match, Alzid is a good boy I am sure he will treat her well." She complains. "You..." He says but gets interrupted by Alzid's answer. " I am sorry but as I will not become the family head of my family I was given permission to marry someone I love. I have no intention to marry someone I don't love." He answers apologetically. 

"Tch, at least you know your place," Zack whispers so that his wife doesn't hear. "That is not a problem at all, you need not answer now, just spend some time with her and I am sure that you will end up loving her. There are few as good as her after all in fact, I am glad that you two genuinely are in love with each other. Then your marriage will be even happier." She says excitedly. 

"Mom, what about my opinion," Cassi asks. "Darling, it is just a few dates, nothing is set in stone. If there are no sparks between you two I won't force it." Elendra says. "well, alright then." Cassi sighs with relief. "Wife..." Zacks tries to complain but Elendra hushes him. " You are not allowed to interfere in this matter, it is because of you that I have to resort to these measures as you are not letting our daughter have a love life, so I need to get involved and make one for her." She scolds him and he can do nothing but resentfully agree. "So do you agree?" She asks Alzid waiting for his answer. Alzid thinks for a while, probably thinking about what benefits this deal will give him. He secretly glances at Annette again and suddenly a sly glint appears in his eyes. Like he suddenly comes up with a mischievous plan. "Will we be completely alone or will her aide be with her?" He asks. "Well of course in the beginning sh... he needs to be with her for safety reasons, no matter how much I trust you I still need to be careful after all... does that trouble you?" She asks.

"No, no, not at all... I think that is a great idea I am not ready to be completely alone with your daughter just yet." He replies with a blush and seeing this Elendra has an even better view of him and her eyes soften. " Then it is a deal?" She asks. "Yes." He answers. "Excellent, how about having your first date in 2 days?"

( If you are interested you can read some of my other works on Wattpad, titles down below.    Also happy Sweden's National Day)

My wish came true after death 

Gangster like mommy 

The marriage peace treaty