chapter 6

While Annette was sleeping and taken care of, Benjamin went to talk with his master.

He waited until his master was alone and guided him to his office. The lord sat down at his desk and started to do his last paperwork before going to bed.

As by routine Benjamin started to brew jasmine tea which is his master's favorite.

Though there is no stove or a tap inside the office he could easily brew tea with his strong elemental magic. He first summoned a little water inside his master's cup then he used a little fire magic to heat it. Lastly, he put in the tea leaves and waited for them to be ready. Once it was done he put it on the master's desk.

"I heard that you had a sparring match with your daughter, what did you think?"

The Lord asks him. " She exceeded my expectations." He says with a smile.

"Oh, how so?" She asks him as he signs the papers.

"I was hoping for a brave young warrior but instead she is a savage beast with high intelligence. Her way of fitting is unpredictable as it seems to match the situations she encounters and she will fight with all her might even if she knows that she will lose. She even managed to land four hits on me." He says proudly.

"Hee, so you are already treating her like she is your daughter even though you have only been her father for less than three days." The grand duke says.

"Oh my, I have known her for months and I like her so there is nothing strange about it." Benjamin answers. "But we need to be careful." Benjamin suddenly turns serious.

"What do you mean?" The lord aks.

"With a person like her if we don't handle our cards right she will turn her fangs against us. She is a person who only does things she is interested in or goes with the flow when there isn't and if she is being pushed the wrong way she will defy it with all her might. The only way to hinder this is to become someone important to her. And she doesn't make relationships easy as she hates superficial things. In the orphanage, she only cared about her sister and disregarded anyone else though no one wanted to approach who was not her sister except Cris. We need to find a way to make my lady important to her." He answers and the grand duke realizes the seriousness of the matter. " I understand but unfortunately only my daughter can make her like her... for now we need to find what interests her and use those interests to our advantage so that she has no reason to turn against us. Then we can only hope that Cassi can make her loyal to her. Normally I would not take this risk but my instincts tell me that she may be important for my daughter's safety in the future." He says with a sigh.

"I think it would be a good idea to let her meet with her sister sometimes. It would be a good reason to appeal to her. I was told that she was adopted by the Pentahast family." Benjamin recommends.

"Pentahast, that power-hungry family? I suppose that they wanted a daughter to marry for political power. But why did they choose her? Tell me is there something special about her? Zack asks.

"Other than that most people have a weird obsession with her to the point where it seems unnatural to even the Pentahast couple had only met her once and acted the same way... maybe she was a god's gift ability sense me, Cris and Annette was not effected so if it was a god's gift it would make sense because we probably have higher mana capacity." He says.

"I will send someone to look into it, it may turn into something troublesome if the Pentahast family is involved. They like to act like caring and generous people on the outside but in reality, they want to have control over things as much as possible. Luckily they don't want to overrun the kingdom as that would be too much of a responsibility as they can not do the thing they want freely. I am sure that Annette would not like it if her sister was being used as an unsuspecting puppet." He says.

"I will tell Lucious to look into it," Benjamin says and leaves the room.

The next day Annette wakes up and notices that all her pain has disappeared. She looks at the clock and sees that it is 12:32. It seems like they left her alone because of yesterday's injuries. Annette decides to make herself ready and then goes into the kitchen to ask if they have left her any food to eat. Annette changes into one of the outfits bought for her and walks out.

Once she has reached the kitchen one of the cooks tells her that they have left her some oatmeal porridge with berries for her to eat

Once she has reached the kitchen one of the cooks tells her that they have left her some oatmeal porridge with berries for her to eat. Annette takes her meal and sits to eat in the dining hall.

After a while, two men that seem like knights walk towards her and start up a conversation. "Hey, kid, I saw you spar with Benjamin yesterday and I want to say I am impressed." One of them says with a happy-go-lucky smile. But he is only met with awkward silence. "What's your name?" The other knight asks, trying to end the silence. "Annette." She replied shortly.

"Oh, that's a great name. I am sorry for Rezez, he just likes to make friends with strong people." He continues. "It's alright." Se answers.

"Well my name is Lucious I am one of Benjamin's people... so I suppose I need to call you young master from now on." He says with a gentle smile.

"Why?" Annette asks as she finally looks at them.

"Well, you are my master's daughter. From now on it is only right to call you a young master." He answers.

"... It is unnecessary, I am not the one giving you orders and I am also weaker than you so that title is too much," Annette says, cooly.

"Ha, you got rejected Lucious this is the first." Rezes laughs out loud.

"I fail to see what's so funny," Lucious says with a dark grin and Rezez immediately runs away as his life depended on it.

"Well, I believe that you will soon exceed me, but I'm sorry I have to go now to teach that loudmouth a lesson." He says and then dashes after his companion.

After she has eaten she leaves the dining room and is intently faced with Benjamin.

"So you are finally done, the schedule is different because of what happened. So I am here to get you. Today you will have tea time with the ladies of the house. By the young lad's request, come, I will lead you." he says and they walk together towards the greenhouse.