chapter 10

Three days later Zack has come to teach Annette the basics of wielding a sword as she is deemed to now have enough strength and endurance to do so.

But before that he decides to show Annette two different kinds of swords; one is a high-quality double-aged sword with an enchantment on it that enables its user to pour their magic into it. The other is a katana that is of even greater quality but it has no enchantment as this kind of sword is made for prediction so a magic enchantment would be useless for it.

"These two swords are the heirlooms of the Evernights, the one I favor is the double aged sword but it is customary for every grand duke to be able to use both. I will first demonstrate its power and its way of usage. They may both be swords but they are made for two entirely different fighting styles. And once you see it you can choose which one you want to learn. Of Course, you can learn both if you want but the other style is for the future." Zack says and Annette nods in confirmation.

The first takes out the double-aged sword and charges at the practice dummy.

It may be a practice dummy but it is actually a dummy who can fight back although they can only block the attacks and hinder a person. It won't actually strike back and the moves it uses are simple and predictable.

The grand duke attacks the dummy with large slashes that use a lot of force. But even though it seems that he just attacks blindly it is clear that this form of swordsmanship is to overpower your enemy and then create openings and attack.

This is the most common swordplay without a shield in the kingdom.

Then he swishes to showcase the enchantment of the sword. First, he uses fire magic which not only does more damage and if it were a human it would feel hot and you could be burned. It also makes it so that the target can't see as much as they have giant flames in their way. Then he swishes to ice magic, then to lightning magic, and lastly to air magic each element having different advantages.

This is the fighting style of magic swordsmen which is the most favored style in Bergsteck.

Then he changes to the katana which is something only a few people use in Bergsteck as it is not as popular partly because it is the favored swordplay in Alvzuz which 200 years ago were rival kingdoms and it was only recently we became an alliance and started to import katanas. So for 900 years only the Evernight's have used the katana. And although he is the king's brother and should not have learned to wield a katana, but his mother insisted that he would learn it as she was an Evernight. She wanted him to have a trump card in case his half-brother turned out to be a backstabber even though he did abandon his claim to the throne. It didn't happen but it was useful for him since he was able to become the grand duke because of it. This time instead of charging forcefully his strikes are a lot faster, well planned, and elegant. Instead of forcefully making an opening he uses those that are already there or makes one by using faints. This style is more precise and the cuts it makes are deeper and easier made. Though this style is a lot harder as the wielder needs to have a lot of discipline, patience and be able to quickly think on their feet and not miss any weak spots. When he was done showcasing the two swords he put them back and walked towards Annette.

"What do you think?" He asks her.

"I would like to know both or rather I would like to be able to use all kinds of weapons. But between the two swords, I gravitate more towards the katana."

Annette answers seriously an answer which Zack is excited to hear. He fought that she would do better using the katana depending on Benjamin's reports. He was afraid that she would choose the less suited style for her because many youngsters are fooled that magic swords are ultimately superior then katanas which are not true. It all depends on who is using it and if it is a style suited to that person.

As for learning other weapons, he decided that she could learn to use a whip, knife, bow staff, and bow and arrow as well, two of which Benjamin is an expert at while the other two he needed to find her a teacher. There is a knight that works here that knows how to use both a whip and a bow. And as Annette is a fast learner she may learn the basics of all of them in less than two years. So he would be happy to let her learn them as she will be a better bodyguard that way. But then he started to teach her the way of the katana.

Once the lesson was done Zack stopped Annette.

"You will come with me, as per my daughter's request I will show you something and you will not have any more lessons today." He told her as he signaled that she followed him. Before they reached their destination he fetched Cassi on their way and then they went to the stables. And in front of the stable stands a servant holding on the reins of a magnificent mare.

"My daughter noticed that you have a liking for horses and wanted to get you one, so she asked me if it was possible

"My daughter noticed that you have a liking for horses and wanted to get you one, so she asked me if it was possible. I agreed because it would prove useful when traveling as a guard." Zack tells her and Annette's eyes show a hint of happiness.

"This horse is Avhot Frisian, they are faster, stronger, and more durable than normal Frissian's and even other breeds. They are also very loyal and won't listen if they have not accepted you as their master. So while she seems calm now it is only because we used a calming potion on her so that she is handleable. Don't worry it is completely harmless but you can only use it once. The effect of the potion will last in about 3 more hours. So you will have your work cut out for you to make her recognize you as her master. But I have faith that you can do it, I would not have gotten you this breed if I wasn't." Zack says with a confident grin as to challenge her.

"Thank you, grand duke," Annette says as she bows down in courtesy to express her thanks. "There is no need and you should really thank Assi, not me." He says as he calls his daughter with her nickname. "... Thank you, my lady," Annette says with the same courtesy. "Oh my, it was nothing, and haven't I told you that you can call me Cassi when there are no outsiders around," Cassi says pouting.

"No," Annette states not even hesitating.

"I will get you to call me that one day." She states with a fighting spirit.

"So, do you know what you want to name her?"

Zack asks.

"Yewan." Annette answers quickly. She thought it was a name that suited a pure black horse. "Oh, though I have never heard of a name like that it does sound fitting," Zack says. "Well anyway for now I will temporarily suspend your history classes until you have been chosen as her master. It should not matter since you are almost done anyway." Zack says.

"Thank you, master." Annette says.

"... Oh by the way, when is your birthday?" The Duke suddenly asks.

"The 12 of Wender." Annette answers.

"So you just had your birthday when you came to the orphanage," Zack murmurs.

"Why do you ask?" Annette asks.

"Oh, it is the Evernight's tradition to celebrate the birthdays of our aides."

Zack answers.

"My wife was hoping to celebrate it this year as she loves such occasions but it looks like we have to wait for next year. " Zack says though Annette wonders why he even bothered to ask since there is no way that he did not already know. Besides, it may not be this year but it is still only two months away right now, it is the 19th month, Hyster, which is the last one.

"Well I need to go to work now and you both now need to go to your etiquette lesson," Zack says and they do as he orders.