Chapter 7: Reputation

10 years ago, a young Jacob Perez was sitting in the living room watching cartoons with his brothers when a tall beautiful woman exited a bedroom slamming the door, dragging a suitcase down the stairs. "Where do you think you're going?" A younger Rogelio barked following her own the stairs, fury flooded his face, scaring the boys slightly. "Away from you, and I'm taking my children with me!" She yelled at Rogelio "No your not Andrea, I won't let you" Rogelio yelled walking closer to her but she pushed him away furious
"Go to hell Rogelio!" Andrea screamed quickly kissing her kids on the head before vanishing out of the door. And that was the last they ever saw of Andrea Perez. "Damn it!" Rogelio yelled throwing a vase at the door with fury before storming upstairs slamming the door shut. Jacob teared up "It will be ok, Jacob" A young Josh comforted him.

Jacob woke up, hearing a loud slam of a door, he was sweating slightly from that intense dream that was the only memory of his mother he had. Two weeks had past, since the intense family dinner and Rogelio was still in town and the house was still tense ever since. And Josh had been MIA since Rogelio decided to stick around for a while, and that made Jacob worried for his older brother and his lengthy absence.

"Morning sleepyhead" Marco woke Jacob up "So i hear we're having dinner tonight, with your boyfriend as well, are you sure that's a good idea, especially since the last dinner didn't go so well?" Marco asked remembering it clearly. "I'm not sure, but dad seemed pretty adamant about it" Jacob yawned getting up  "Well, we will be there so he should be on his best behaviour" Marco smiled "That worked last time" Jacob said under his breath getting ready for the day ahead. 

The school day past by quickly, quicker than Jacob hoped. He felt nervous about Caleb meeting his father, he worried Rogelio would scare him away. Caleb walked up to him "Are you alright?" Caleb asked Jacob who looked a little worried, which was accurate. He jumped slightly "Oh yeah, I'm great" Jacob kissed Caleb on the forehead before exiting the school. "Are you nervous about tonight?" Caleb asked having a hunch that was the reason for his worried expression. "A little, I just don't want my dad to scare you away, especially after the last family dinner we had, and you know how that went" Jacob sighed looking down. Caleb lifted is chin up gently kissing him "Stop worrying, there's nothing he could say to scare me away" Caleb reassured him but he hoped that was true but he wasn't so sure knowing his father's reputation. "I'll pick you up at 7" Jacob kissed him on the cheek before dashing away, Caleb was confused by the exchange. 

From the top of the stairs, just outside the exit Owen stood with his group, "Lincoln knows, he didn't seemed shocked when I told him Caleb's secret" Owen sighed watching them leave confusion flooded his face "I  guess, I'll have to go to plan B to destroy this bitch" Owen chuckled before walking down the stairs.

7pm, Caleb and Jacob were standing outside the restaurant, Jacob gripping Caleb's hand tightly "Are you ok?" Caleb asked noticing his stress. "I'll be fine" Jacob smiled as they walked in seeing a booth across the establishment with his family in it. "Dad, this is Caleb Miller" Jacob smiled as they sat down Rogelio shaking Caleb's hand "It's nice to meet the boy, who has stolen my sons heart" Rogelio smiled "It's nice to meet you too" Caleb smiled in response. "So my son, tells me you work at this little photography studio, how charming" Rogelio chuckled "Quite" Caleb smiled back, sipping his drink. "I also heard that you recently transferred schools to my son's school, why?" Rogelio asked biting into his pre-ordered starters. Jacob shot his dad a withering stare.
"it's a long story, but I do love the new school very much, thank you for asking" Caleb smiled holding his own. "When did Josh say he would be here?" Rogelio asked Marco who zoned out "He didn't" Marco smiled eating his meal.

20 minutes had past, of awkward questions and a intense silence, Caleb felt like he was being interrogated. "Ok i've had enough" Rogelio threw his napkin on the table "Jacob I don't think you've though this through, I mean Caleb understands, a boy like Caleb has no idea,  what it takes to be in this family, we have a reputation to uphold-" Rogelio said in a soft tone. "Excuse me?" Caleb chimed in "I mean with his colourful past and the fact you two are different, I just don't think it will work out" Rogelio smiled and Jacob was furious "This dinner is over" Jacob barked as Caleb stood up. "I've had quite enough, of this silliness, listen here, you judgemental bitch, I will not be told who I am by you, because you know nothing about me" Caleb barked back shocking them "How dare you" Rogelio looked insulted "Well, you don't have to worry your over conditioned face about me, because you will never have to see me again" Caleb smiled leaving the table and storming away. Jacob got up and followed him outside into the heavy rain filled night.

"Caleb wait!-" Jacob yelled trying to catch up with him "Go back to your family, Jacob" Caleb started to walk away when JAcob grabbed his arm but Caleb shook his off "Wait, please-" Jacob asked on his knees but Caleb walked away without saying a word and Jacob stood there on his knees as the rain fell and he watched Caleb walk away into the night, he knew this dinner wouldn't go well at all.

Jacob walked into the restaurant, emotionless "That boy has some nerve-" Rogelio started getting up "How dare he? How dare you talk to my boyfriend like that, you treated him like crap all night! Josh was right about you, and I want you to leave town now, before i do something I won't regret" Jacob was about to walk away when Rogelio grabbed his arm and in a fit of rage Jacob punched Rogelio in the face knocking him onto the table which snapped due to the impact. And Jacob stormed away into the night.