13. Magic

Liam

I was incredibly amused by Rena's Cinderella and the Peas story. I didn't really understand the link, but Bea did, and it worked.

My little girl had no issue with broccoli, like I didn't when I was younger, since she thought of them as mini trees. But it was peas that she had an issue with. I didn't really understand that.

After lunch, I stayed behind to clear up and Bea dragged Rena to her room to play with her.

They had this immediate bond with each other. I knew that Bea adored Rena, she found her amazing, especially after the revelation that she worked in a 'princess store'.

It was kind of sweet to see them together. They were like long-lost friends.

I wasn't entirely sure if Rena and I were friends right now. I think we are, but I guess we never really clarified that.

I didn't really know how to ask her that, it was quite an awkward thing to ask someone 'will you be my friend?'. Bea could do it easily and compared to her, I was horrible at words.

There was no way that'd I'd be able to say the words, without sounding like a complete idiot.

After I cleaned the countertop and washed my hands, I heard a sound similar to a thud and then a curse, coming from the living room.

I rushed into the room, only to find Rena on the floor, covering her mouth with one hand, the other covering her knee.

"What happened?" I asked, stepping towards her.

She shook her head, removing her hand from her mouth. "Nothing, I'm fine," she said.

I eyed her curiously, crossing my arms and raised a brow her, knowing for sure that she wasn't fine at all and was lying. No one just stayed on the floor, holding their knee like that.

"Do you usually stay on the floor like that when you're fine?" I asked.

Again, she shook her head. "It's nothing, I just fell," she said.

I saw the way she winced when she tried to move her knee and knew that she definitely felt some kind of pain right now.

"Let me see," I said, stepping towards her.

Just as I did, Rena held up a hand towards me. "No, it's okay. I'm-"

I ignored her and crouched down next to her instead.

"Stop it," I told her, glaring at her. I wasn't so far gone to not be concerned about her pain. "Just let me see it," I said, not leaving much room for argument.

I moved her hand that was covering her knee, to take a closer look. There was a small scratch, with a little blood escaping from it.

"It's just a little scrape," Rena said and tried to get up, but before she could, another panicked voice called out for her and I had a feeling I knew what would happen next.

Bea came running towards us, crouching down next to me, looking at Rena with wild, frantic eyes.

"You're bleeding!" She gasped.

"It's okay, Bea. It's only a small scratch," Rena tried to tell her, but Bea's face looked as if she was in a much worse condition.

I was pretty sure she must have just fallen on one of Bea's toys. I always tell her to clean them up, but she always puts it off and forgets.

Bea then began to frantically patted my shoulder and pointed at Rena's knee. "No, no, no. Daddy help her," she said, like Rena had minutes to live or something.