17. The Dinner

Serena

"Babe, I'm sorry."

"Will, don't you dare."

"I don't think I'm going to be able to make it."

A week ago, that Tiff had invited Will and I for a little family dinner, as a thank you for bringing the dress to her last time, for the fitting.

I thought that this could be a cute and Will could meet Emma and Mr Hunter, too. I had always been close to them growing up and held them in the highest regard. It would mean a lot to me if they also liked Will.

However, the kitchen at the cafe flooded. It happened just as they were closing up and Will was currently trying to sort it out - which still seemed to be a work in progress.

"Babe, I'm really, really, sorry," he apologised, again.

I looked at myself in front of the mirror, dressed up and ready to go, but it just felt like maybe this dinner wasn't meant to be.

"Is it really not fixable?" I asked softly, wondering if there was any chance he would be able to make it.

"I don't think so. The pipe is fixed but I'm currently standing in a couple of inches of water. I have to get this sorted. I'm sorry, babe," he said.

I knew that it wasn't like he had done this on purpose. It was his cafe. He couldn't just leave it flooding.

"It's fine," I sighed. "I can just call Tiff and cancel, and come help you," I told him.

"No, don't do that. I know you'd hate yourself for cancelling last minute like that. Besides, I have a few of the guys with me, we'll get this sorted," he said.

I sat down on the bed, feeling a little sad now.

"I can...mop...something?" I offered - well it was more of a pathetic excuse for help.

"Honestly, Serena, I think there's been enough damaged," Will joked, laughing as soon as he got the words out.

"Jerk," I replied.

I could still hear him laugh and I couldn't stop the smile that came over my face. I was really trying to fight back my own laughter.

When it came to cleaning, I don't know why I was terrible at mopping. For some reason, I created more of a mess.

"Serena, really, it's okay. If I can get this sorted quickly, I'll call you and come over. If not, I'll meet you at home. Please don't be mad, though," Will said.

"I'm not mad. Frustrated at the situation, but not at you," I said.

I found it hard to ever be mad at Will. He was like a happy puppy all the time - it was impossible to be angry at him.

"Okay, good," Will said, with an exaggerated tone of relief. "Have fun at the dinner and text me when you're there and back. I'm sorry about this, babe. But I'll make it up to you, I promise."

"It better be good," I told him.

He chuckled. "It'll be better than good," he replied.

It was going to be food of some kind. I just knew it.

***

"Serena! Thank you for coming," Tiff said, as she hugged me.

"Thank you for the invite," I smiled, when we finally broke apart.

Tiff then frowned slightly. "Where is your fiancé?" She asked, her eyes drifted around me.

"Will had an emergency at the cafe. He might make it, but it's not likely," I told her.