29. Peace

Serena

"My baby's home! It's been so long," My dramatic mother was the first to greet me as I walked through the door to my parents house.

"I visited a month ago," I smiled and hugged my Mum, who held me close like she was afraid to let go.

She leaned back but still held onto my arms. "Even a day away is too long for a mother," she said.

I rolled my eyes at her. "You're way too dramatic."

She scoffed in response, waving her hand about. "There's no such thing."

I laughed at her words as she took my hand and pulled me into the living room.

Immediately, I saw my Dad standing in the living room and when he spotted me, he held his arms wide open.

"Hi, sweetheart. Welcome home," he greeted and I walked into his embrace as he held me close.

"Hi Dad," I smiled into his hug.

I missed this so much and definitely needed it. My Dad's hugs were equivalent to hot chocolate. It was the best thing ever. Sometimes, it was all I needed to feel safe and to think that all was good in the world.

"Had a good journey?" Dad asked, as we all took a seat on the sofa, with the fireplace lit up and keeping us all warm.

I rested my head on his shoulder, whilst he gently stroked my head. "It was alright, but tiring. I hate driving long distances," I told them.

I don't mind driving, but it's just a bit of a chore sometimes, especially when you have to go further away. I'd rather sit in the back and chill, whilst someone else drove.

Also, paying to rent a car isn't something I liked either.

"I don't like you driving long distances either," Dad said with a frown. He just wasn't too keen on me driving at all.

Mum then turned to face me. "Why can't you book a taxi?" She asked.

"And spend three of the shops' profit on that bill? No thank you." I replied.

It might not seem like it, but I do work hard to keep both the bridal shop and the cake shop going and earning profit. Spending all that hard earned money on a taxi fare just isn't something my heart could bear.

Before my Mum could reply and most likely say something about how travelling by taxi would be better, I heard the barking of our dog and the tapping of her paws against the hardwood floor.

Daisy came running into the living room excitedly, bound straight for me.

She stood on her hind legs, tail wagging and her front paws on my lap. Her brown and black fur looked newly brushed, and I wouldn't be surprised if Mum tried to make her look extra pretty for me to see.

"Daisy! You absolute beauty, come here girl," I cooed at her, as she let out a bark in response.

She nuzzled her nose into my neck, giving me a lick as I laughed.

"She's missed you," Dad commented, watching our little reunion.

I laughed as Daisy laid by my feet and onto her back, showing me her stomach, clearly wanting to be scratched.

"I've missed her too," I said, scratching her stomach. The last time I got to see her, was when my parents dropped her off before their little trip.

Every time I saw her, I would just remember how much she resembled Rocky. It was so weird, but I swear they even smiled the same.

We first adopted Rocky after we moved into this house. He passed away after getting quite ill and we had to put him down. It hurt so much to let him go, but it was better than him being in constant pain.