Chapter 18

A girl with black and white hair leaning against the wall is seen trying to solve a Rubik's cube. Behind her, a double-edged scythe, her very own weapon.

"A Rubik's Cube? That takes me back." A man with long hair said as he walked closer to the girl. A look of worry on his face. But was masked by fake optimism.

"Getting one side is easy, but getting two sides is hard." The girl answered, continuing to solve the puzzle in her hands.

"That may be true. They are toys whose advent was spread by the Six Great Gods six hundred years ago." The man explained, walking closer. The girl glanced at him.

"So, what has happened to bring the officers together?" The girl asked, feeling bored of the small talk, and decided to get on the point. The man's expression turned dull.

"There was a report submitted." The man said. The girl was quick to reply, not letting him explain more.

"I didn't read it." She said, making the man sigh, "It's easier to just ask someone who knows the situation." She continued, going back to the Rubik's cube.

"Has 7th Seat's "Thousand Leagues Astrologer" prediction gone awry? They've gone forth to subjugate the Catastrophe Dragon Lord, right?" The girl asked, taking a glance at her colleague before going back to the Rubik's cube.

"They've engaged an unknown vampire-like undead, and Cedran and Beaumarchais were killed, while Kaire was severely injured, so they withdrew." The man reported. He shifted to the left and stared behind him, somewhat paranoid.

"8th Seat "Myriad Barriers" and 9th Seat "Divine Chain," huh?" The girl said, completing the red side of the cube, "So, which one is stronger--that vampire or me?" She asked, moving her head to the side to stare at the man.

"You are." The man said with no hesitation. He once again stared behind him, shifting and looking paler than ever.

"I see. That's too bad. I thought I might experience defeat." She said, looking to the side. She narrowed her eyes, seeing the man have a slight panic attack.

"Come to think of it, the Sunlight Scripture has been wiped out, right?" She asked, dismissing the man's suspicious behavior by continuing the conversation.

"Probably." The man answered in a quick manner, looking behind once more, irritating the girl, "Word is that they were done in by a magic caster named Ains Ooal Gown. However, not a single body was left behind." He continued.

"Oh? Are they strong?" The girl asked, looking up. Actually intrigued by the man.

"Good question. Their captain, Nigun, was outdone by the Blue Rose." The man explained. The girl felt disappointed at that.

"That's no measure of strength at all, is it? Is there no man who can beat me?" She asked, rubbing her belly as she looked down at it.

"No matter how ugly or twisted they might be. Even being inhuman is no matter. After all, they'd be a man capable of beating me." she continued, her voice changing in tone.

"How strong would a child born of myself and such a man end up being?" She said in a crazy tone.

"We also have another problem. Someone is trying to build a Kingdom near Slane Theocracy. It had beaten our knights before. And injured "The Strongest Human."" The man reported. The girl looked up once again in intrigue.