After Hell (Dean)

You were dating Dean when he died and was dragged to Hell. But then you got him back. Though, things are far from perfect as you can tell he needs to talk about things.

Warnings: Accidental injury (of the reader), sadness, language, bruising.

Written from the point of view of 'Alivia'. But as always, feel free to mentally change that.

When I lost Dean I was devastated. I walked around in a fog for weeks. Sam left. Bobby tried, but there wasn't much to do that would be helpful.

I began helping Bobby work the phones and reading up on lore. I wasn't ready to go on hunts yet - not without either of the boys.

Then by some miracle, we got Dean back. It was really him. I had the love of my life back in my arms. Then he and Bobby went after Sam and I had him back too.

Life seemed to be going as good as it gets for hunters. But I knew something was wrong. Dean needed to talk about Hell, but he refuses to talk to me, or even Sam or Bobby. He just bottles it all up.

Tonight we had Bobby's place to ourselves, so I decided to make the best of it. I put on my favorite lingerie set, and one of Dean's flannels, then walked to our room from the bathroom to surprise him.

When I walked in he was staring out the window, lost in whatever was on his mind. This is often how we find him since he came back. He gets trapped in his head, zoned out and unresponsive.

I smiled and moved over closer to him. His attention never left the gaze out the window. There was something in his eyes that wasn't there before he left.

He was a million miles away in his mind instead of here with me. I wished there was something I could do to help, but I know he doesn't want to share those details with me. 

I ran my hand up his back gently, "Hey..." But he flinched as he spun around.

He clocked me, and punched my ribs as he panicked. I yelped in pain as well as shock as I fell to the floor.

I scrambled to my feet as he snapped out of it and moved toward me again. "Baby? Oh my God..." He started to say, but I bolted out the door.

Once inside the bathroom I leaned against the sink and took a deep breath. His heavy hurried footsteps followed after me, but didn't come through the door. Even though I didn't lock the door he stayed outside of it.

"Baby, are you alright? I am so damn sorry. I didn't know what I was doing."

"Just give me a minute." I responded, barely loud enough for him to hear it.

"You gotta know that I didn't meant to hurt you. I would never do that on purpose. I got inside my head and I messed up."

I looked in the mirror, my cheek bone was already swelling slightly and there was a cut. I pulled the side of the flannel open and saw another red patch, surely a coming brusie, along my ribs. Shit.

He was going to hate himself for this. But it was partly on me. I knew he wasn't in the moment with me. I knew he was lost in his head. I should've known better than to touch him.

After a moment of silence as I calmed myself I took one more breath. Even knowing he wouldn't hurt me on purpose I was rattled. He packs a punch, and I caught it twice.

I sighed and opened the door. He was standing just a foot on the other side of the door.

I watched his eyes take in my face, and guilt and sadness fill those green orbs. He gasped slightly and took a step back. "Baby... fuck... I'm so sorry. I didn't.... God!" He yelled and moved to walk away from me.

I grabbed his hand and pulled him back to face me. "Hey, breathe. I'm fine."

"The hell you are, Liv. Look at your face!" He grabbed the flannel softly and moved it, "Look at your ribs! I'm a horrible person."

"No, Dean. You aren't. You are just a person who went through a lot of shit. I shouldn't have scared you the way I did."

He huffed and walked away again. He went back to the room we just came from. He stood in the middle and rubbed his face angrily. "Don't blame yourself, baby. I swear I didn't mean it, but this isn't on you. I messed up even letting myself get distracted like that. I know better."

I sighed and wrapped the flannel around my body tighter. "I'm sorry, Dean. It's okay. I'm going to be alright. You know that I wouldn't blame you for this. I understand. I'll heal in no time."

We got my face cleaned up and then laid down. He wouldn't touch me. He was so mad at himself for what happened.

In the morning I woke up first. I went and took a shower before getting dressed. I pulled on a t-shirt and a pair of shorts before going downstairs.

As I got coffee going and pulled out pancakes and bacon, Sam and Bobby walked in. I smiled at them, "Hey, good morn..."

"What the hell happened to your face?" Sam asked rushing over to me. He tilted my face in different directions as he examined it.

From behind me I heard Dean come in the room.

"I just... am clumsy." I tried to lie.

"Liv, please don't lie. It was me, guys. We had an accident yesterday and I messed up."

I huffed that Dean wouldn't let me cover for him. Sam made this weird gasping sound as he let go of my face and looked at his brother in shock. "YOU did this?! Dean what the hell?" He asked angrily, his nostrils flaring as his fists clenched.

Bobby stepped next to me. "Boy, you better start explaining why you put a bruise on Alivia's face."

I moved to stand in front of Dean. "Guys, relax."

"Liv, don't defend it. I uh... we were alone. I stood in our room looking out the window. And I let my mind wander. I started thinking about hell. I got lost in my head and she touched me. I fucked up. I reacted before I realized it was Liv." He explained.

I sighed, "And I could tell he wasn't with me in that room. I could tell something was wrong. So it's on me for approaching him that way. He didn't mean to hurt me." I added, trying to defuse the anger building in the room.

"Dean, you put your hands on your girlfriend! Do you see how bad this is?!"

"Sam! Please, I'm fine." I scolded.

Dean nodded though, "I do, Sam. I am the one who came out of it and saw my girlfriend on the floor bleeding and scared of me. I saw it for myself!"

It got quiet as the just sort of stared at each other. Then Bobby sighed. "Alivia, I know you are tough. I know you can handle a few hits. But Dean... don't you see the truth of this? Think about it beyond what happened. Think about how bad this could have been. You gotta talk to someone about hell. Or next time it might not only be a bruise. Next time you might not stop. Or it could be a bullet. I know you're never hurt her on purpose... but this is proof that you need to work through some shit before it gets worse."

Dean sat on a chair and nodded, "I know. Believe me, I thought about it all night. I will never forgive myself for hurting her."

We were on a mission to talk more about hell. He agreed to slowly try to open up to Sam and me about what happened in hell. We just hoped it would help him to get it out. I wasn't sure if he'd be okay if something like this happened again.