Chapter 40 - LOSING GAME

The chilling blow of the wind sent shivers to her spine, added by the horrific feel that she was having right at that moment seeing Kara's name in an actual tomb. Levi sat slumping his entire body in the ground and positioned himself Indian style. Devon, on the other hand, was kneeling in front of Kara's grave. 

She wants to believe that he's saying a prayer for her. He thought of all the things that happened tonight and how they were all brought together to this time and this place after all these years. 

She's always thought of that one line she read from a book when she was way younger. She recalled it was way back when she had escaped from the first family she ran away from. Other things may change us, but we start and end with the family.

She's always thought that it was a line she could never define. Whatever happens to her, she has no actual family that she started with or will end up with. Life has been cruel to her, and she had no one to talk to or turn to with every struggle or joy she's had. 

When she met Sierra and Luna, she felt like being a part of a family for the very first time in her life again. 

They've filled a lot of void within her, especially that she felt she'd found sisters with them. 

Madam Lily and Terry were two very opposite women yet inspirational in every way she could think of and were the closest she has for a mother. 

Despite the situation she's in. She has considered Kara as a part of her. She could be her sister, who has fallen almost the same lousy fate as her. 

Sadly, she wasn't there for her. They could have been each other's rocks. 

She took a sigh as she sat beside Levi, whose tears were now welling up. 

"You've brought her peace still." she cupped Levi's face and made him face her. He's known as the noble brother. He is willing to do everything he can for his family, yet he becomes a victim, just like Kara and Devon. 

"I could have buried her in a more decent place. A garden even more beautiful than this. She deserved it."

"I'm sure she loves this place Levi. This is perfect." she looked around and saw how the stars shone directly at her grave. "She'd love the peace and those stars above. They are perfect. That's all she needs."

"I should have been her brother that day. Instead, I was a coward." his face grimaced in pain as he could feel his abdomen getting sore. 

They only took the bullet, and he still needs medical attention. 

"You know that they'd still need to dig her and possibly exhume her right?"

Levi nodded.

"Can't she just rest in her peace? She's been through so much. We wanted to bury her here where there's no one else who could find her." Devon now stood up with tired shoulders. 

"I will take care of her Devon. Right now, its time that you two will take care of yourselves."

Both men looked at her. Nora faced Devon and wrapped her hands around his. 

"You know the safe house where I lived?"

Devon nodded, looking restless. He's been caught up in all of his family's chaos, and amongst all of them, he looked more lost than anyone else. 

"Drop by my old place, will you? Go to my old room. There's a package there waiting for you. And no matter what happens, I want you to go. No matter how long it will take. I want you to say yes to it."

"What is it?"

"You'll know soon."

She wished she's known them way longer than how the circumstance had brought them together. She never knew how it felt to have an older brother. As she learned of Kara's life, she envied how protected she was, how these two men were in her side all the time to be her protector. Except for when she decided to end her life. 

"Take Levi with you." she turned towards Levi and helped him stand up, limping as he walked towards Devon. "Open the package and I hope you will both like my gifts." she stopped herself from sobbing. "I may not be a part of your family. But I've learned so much about you two from all of Kara's video journals. She was happy when she had both of you. I think that's the greatest thing she's thankful for while she was here. You've done so much for her that I wished I have brothers like you. No matter what kind of parents you all had, you stood by each other. And I did not have that. So, just in case she hasn't thanked you before, I want to say it for her. Thank You."

Devon hugged her tightly that it was almost breaking her bones. But she didn't feel any sense of complaints, but instead, she felt overjoyed. Levi wrapped his arms around both of them, getting them into a full circle. 

As they separated, Levi wiped the tears she never thought had escaped her eyes unknowingly. 

"We will find you again. And like Kara, we will take care of you. Don't ever think that you can't be a part of us. You are our family. You may have not lived with us or grew with us, but you have always been a missing piece in our lives. And we will not let anything happen to you. Okay?"

She nodded and smiled, overjoyed with the emotional moment they were sharing together. 

"Go now. You have to go. I will take care of her okay?"

Devon held Levi in his shoulders and walked with him to the car. They looked at Nora one last time before they could drive away. 

As soon as she could no longer see them, she pressed the button on her necklace. 

It would only take a few minutes before someone would come and for her. 

She laid beside Kara's grave, straitening out her feet, clasping both of her hands together on top of her stomach, and looked up at the starry sky. 

"I'm sorry this is how this all ended Kara. It felt like everything was flashed forward." she sighed and curled her feet facing Kara. "I'd like to be the one to give everyone a happy ending. But I think I can only do so little." she turned her head towards the sky again, "I wished we've met and spent some time together. I'm sure we'd enjoy looking at all these stars. You'd be a wonderful sister and I'll be the same to you." her tears fell once more time, thinking of Keld and what their ending will be. "When I go, can you look after him? Maybe tell him that he's free to love again. I just think he's been stuck with your memories for too long and he's forgetting his heart." the sound of crickets filled the air for a while. She closed her eyes and savored the peace she had right at that moment. Tomorrow, she'll need to be Kara again. Write the last few chapters of her existence, and by then, perhaps, she can go. 

"Loving him will always be a losing game isn't it?" she curled herself up again on her side and kept her eyes closed as she ran through her mind the things she still needed to do once the sun rose up.