Chapter 44 - RUNAWAY

"Are you sure about this?"

She stared at the face that reflected in the rearview mirror. She's at the back seat of the limo right at that moment and is on her way to the escort service's location.

The last few days were hectic for her. She'd been through so many interviews from various media outlets after the death of Victor Osmond. The world learned about her identity and her nature.

She was dubbed the most successful clone in humanity's history, and everyone wants to know about her and how she felt about her entire existence.

She appeared in almost every media outlet, and all she could do was to allow them at least a few minutes of her time. She is humanity's most remarkable discovery. But she didn't want to dwell on the entire fiasco.

Her plans never changed ever since she met Madam Lily, Luna, and Sierra. After Kara was exhumed, she asked for her ashes and wanted to bring her along with her. She knew the perfect place where she could lay in peace.

"Yes." she answered, still looking outside the window.

Keld has been in recovery since the entire operation, and she never had the chance to see him again. They got to talk over the phone, but she could not meet her again.

"Even if he'd no longer recognize you?"

She blushed and smiled, simply getting what she was implying.

"With this face, he'll never recognize the real me. All he'll see is her. And that's never going to change. So yes, I am certain that this is what I want to do. But please, don't tell him anything."

After her exposure to the media, her client Marcus decided to settle the case filed by Keld against him. He knew he could not succeed against one of the most renowned billionaires in the country. She received a huge amount for her settlement.

Today, she's celebrating her 19tth birthday with the people she has known for the longest time. The people who gave her a home when she had nothing.

Madam Lily was very thankful that she had conquered everything that she had to go through. Just like a real-life mother, she takes care of her girls, and ultimately, she'd want every single one of them to succeed, and that included her.

The limousine pulled up in front of the escort service's yard. She's wearing a simple cocktail dress for this celebration. It's her 20th birthday and they have decided on throwing her a masquerade party.

She clasped the mask she's been holding since the ride began. It was the same mask she used the very first time she met Keld.

This time she paired it with a knee length long sleeve beaded, wine cocktail dress. It blended extyremely well with her complexion and was a good color to match with the red mask she has. The stilettos she's wearing were of the same color and paired with red jewels in her fingers and ears.

The moment she stepped out of the limo, she was already wearing her mask.

Terry walked with her also wearing her own cocktail dress. She looked really gorgeous with her outfit.

"Do you plan on keeping anything?"

"You know what I'd love to keep. I think it's one of the most remarkable thing I have."

"Just as I thought. I'll set it up then."

"Thank You Terry."

"As I've said, I will be here. I'm happy for you kiddo."

She gave her best smile and continued to walk inside the huge property of the escort service.

The moment she stepped in, a huge crowd greeted her in chorus with a Happy Birthday!

Her heart was overwhelmed with everyone's presence.

The entire girls, except for Luna who is still in Italy had to skip her birthday. They did agree to seeing each other once she gets to Paris.

The moment she descended from the staircase, she was welcomed with the biggest cake she has ever seen in her life. It was life size and was in green frosting, sort of a homage to her beautiful green eyes.

Madam Lily handed her a glass of champagne and everyone stood in front of her in silence.

"Go on, we deserve at least a speech." Madam Lily teased.

She shyly stood in front of all of them and looked around. She saw almost everyone, Giselle, Sierra, the girls, even Jeffrey was in there. They all seemed to be present but her eyes could only come looking for one person.

"I'd like to thank every one of you for coming. Truly, this is overwhelming. About two years ago, I was a mere homeless kid roaming the city of New York. With an empty stomach, an pocket and an empty heart." she could hear her own voice croak, yet she forced herself to get through this impromptu speech without breaking.

"But then I met Sierra and Luna, who unfortunately can't be here. But she's happy now. Don't worry. And I met Madam Lily, who is such an angel to me. And ever since, I can't be anymore thankful with the Love and the Joy they have brought me. Everyone in here has been a huge part of me and my life. I just can't say enough how much of a wild ride it has been for me. But you were all there. Willing to help me, guide me, hug me when I needed one. And I guess that's all any orphan could really ask for. Love, and the feeling of home amongst those who really appreciates and love them. Thank You!"

"Cheers to Nora!" Sierra said out loud.

Everyone cheered for her and asked her to blow her candles, which she willingly obliged.

As soon a sthat was done, she was pulled into the middle of the dancefloor by Jeffrey for her first dance.

She had no plans of stopping. She was too afraid that if she do stop, she'd start crying with the thought that Keld is not there.

She can't afford to cry when she has all these plans in her mind of what she's doing next.

The dancing never ended and after another dance, everyone stopped to appreciate the band and their vocalist who did an awesome job that night.

Soon, another song filled the entire ballroom. The next song played was the very song she hated to hear right at that moment. The slowed version of Sweet Dreams.

It was the same song played during her dance with Keld.

"May I have this dance?"

Her heart skipped a beat just when she heard that very familiar voice.

She slowly turned around and saw the same mask she laid her eyes on when she accidentally slipped from the grand staircase.

His hand extended towards her, waiting for her to accept it for his offer of a dance.

She smiled as she reached out and for his hand and allowed him to lead her.

He wrapped her arms around his neck as his went around her waist.

They swayed once again to the tune of the song, feeling nostalgic all of a sudden.

"Isn't this our song?" he playfully teased.

"It is." she's smiling from ear to ear. Just him being here was the best gift she's ever had today.

"I actually thought you're not coming."

"I would not miss this. No matter how occupied I will be, I'd still come here for you."

"Thank You." she whispered as she laid her head against his chest.

She wanted to take this moment in, savor it for it may be the last time she'll ever get to dance with him again.

No words were given again and, all they did was dance all night.

All she could think of was how he's always been the greatest love of her life and it may never be reciprocated ever.

So, she'll have to do what she does best.

Runaway.