Chapter Eight

-Part 3 of the backstory.

x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x

~Zane pov~

' Coffee or tea?' The man, looking like he was in his sixties, a bit buff looking and wearing a black apron, asked me as he probe around at the cupboard to choose a beverage.

' I'd prefer having a chocolate milk.' I replied.

He paused before chuckling. ' I guess I forgot that you're still a kid.'

He closed the cupboard door and open the fridge door. He took out a carton of chocolate milk and pour it in a glass.

' What's your name?' he asked as he hand me the cold beverage.

I hesitated.

' Should I tell him? But what if he's a bad guy too?'

I looked at him feeling conflicted. I feel like he saw right through me because he changed his approach.

' If I tell you my name first, will you tell me your name? I want us to be friends.'

I give it a thought before I gestured a slight nod. He smiled, but rather than a cunning smile, it was warm.

' Well, my name is Alfred Baron. But my friends call me The Noble man.' I laughed a little while he smiles. ' But you can call me Old man Al.'

I looked at his relaxed expression. I guess the soothing aura he gave out managed to calm my nerves down.

' Zane. Zane Ford.'

' That's a good name. It suits you.' He smiled.

' Really? What does it mean?' I finished my chocolate milk, so he poured some more.

' Well, in Arabic, it means 'beauty'. While in Hebrew it means 'gift from God'. You are a gift for your mom.' He said.

' How... ' I paralyzed.

' How do you know that I don't really have a father?'

' You dropped this earlier.' He raised a picture of my fourth birthday. ' Here. Why don't you buy a photo album to keep the picture?'

I look at the picture he handed to me.

'Will it be expensive?' I asked him as I lift my head.

' It depends.'

' I see...'

' Do you have a place to stay at, kid?'

I just shook my head.

'Do you want to stay here for a while?'

' Can I?'

' Well, I don't mind some company. Let me show you the guest room.'

He put the empty glass into a sink and lead me upstairs. When he opened one of the doors, I could see that it was furnished with a single bed and a desk. The window was next to the bed and there's a door to the bathroom.

' Cozy, isn't it? You can stay here for the moment.' he looked at me with a bright smile.

' Yeah. Thank you, Grandpa Al.' A warm aura was emanating from the room. He was stunned for a while before patting my head with a grin on his face.

When he was about to leave, I grabbed his sleeve. He turned to face me.

' Uh, um. Can I do anything? Uh.. you know.. at least to repay you?'

He was a little shocked but then replied;

' Come down after you get a good scrub. I'll teach you what you can in the store.'

He went down and I put my stuff on the bed.

x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x

I wore the black hoodie and a grey pants. My hair was messy but I didn't care. I race down the stairs and go to Grandpa Al.

' I'm here!'

' Eager to help, I see. Here, bring this to table five.' He handed me the tray with two drinks.

Until the clock reach 8, the shop was filled with customers. But the old man managed make drinks back to back without fail. My job was to carry drinks throughout the cafe.

When it's 9 p.m, he closed the shop.

x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x

~The next morning~

I woke up and get ready to help Grandpa Al. When I got down, he sighed but smiled after that. I just look at him with a questioning look.

' You didn't comb your hair again. You have to look presentable in front of the customers.' He said, before he pulled out a comb and styled my hair.

I just laughed and replied;

' Well, I don't see any comb that I could use.'

He knew that I was just giving him an excuse, but he just shrugged it off and say;

' I see, I guess that's my fault. I'll give you one later.'

' Thanks, Grandpa Al!'

' Your welcome. Help me arrange those books, will you?'

' Okay!'

°~Thanks for reading~°