Chapter Thirty-Three

I never thought it would be finished by today, but here we are. Anyway, enjoy your read!- Zane

x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x

~Tony pov~

I just finished looking at the footage of Zane and Happy when Zane's tracking device goes off. He was at a beach around a few kilometers away from the bridge. I flew there as fast as I could and saw a small figure standing next to a big figure, who's wearing a suit. I landed in front of them. I turn on the comms for a while.

Me: I found them.

Bucky: How are they?!

Me: I didn't see any injuries yet.

Bucky: We're on our way.

I got out of the suit and walk towards Zane. I kneel down and put my hands on his shoulder.

Me: Zane, are you okay?!

Zane: Y-yeah. We're safe.

I inspect all over his body for any cuts or bruises but thankfully, there are none. I let out a relieved sigh before hugging the tiny figure in front of me.

Me: Are you feeling okay?

Zane: I'm fine..

His voice hold so much pain that it was obvious he was not okay. I pull out from the embrace and look at him, face to face.

Me: You don't sound okay, Zane. You can tell me.

He went silent. Happy had already walk further from us to give us a space. He look at me for a solid minute before he broke down.

Zane: I-I'm s-scared.. I w-was terrified if it might go w-wrong.. A-and you w-weren't there... I was really scared..

I pull him into a hug again, patting his back to soothe him down. He did pull off some deathly stunt just now. He clutched onto my t-shirt as he sob. His body was shaking so badly and I could see Sylvie floating behind him. His body goes limp and his sobbing turned into soft snores with a few sniffles. I pick him up and hold him close to me.

' Why... Just why does he have to go through something so extreme?! He's just 13!!'

I can't help but feel sad but glad that he is okay. I look at Happy, who's just standing there at the sidelines. Just then, a van pulled up near us. It's a van that I forgot I have in the garage. The doors opened, revealing, four very worried adults, well, two of them are basically grandpas.

Wanda: Is he okay?!!

Bucky: Is he hurt anywhere?!!

Me: He's okay, just a little scarred from what happened. And please keep it down, he's sleeping.

Sam: Those munchkins are so gonna pay for this!

Steve: Well, let's go back first. We should discuss this later.

Steve and Bucky helped to put away my suit in the back of the van. Sam take the wheel and I sit between Steve and Bucky. Wanda sit in the back with Happy. I got kinda sleepy but I fight the urge to shut my eyes down. I don't realize that I fell asleep until Steve wakes me up.

x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x

~3rd person pov~

Bucky pry off Zane's fingers and take him from sleeping Tony when they arrive at the tower. Wanda carry his backpack. Steve wakes Tony up in a soft manner and with just a slight touch, Tony was up. He was a little panicked when he noticed that Zane was gone from his hands but felt relieved when he saw him in Bucky's hands.

They all walk into the elevator and went to the common area. When they arrive, they are met with questioning looks of the others. They had left the footage paused on the TV. Nat looked at them for a few good minutes before she break the silence.

Nat: What happened?

The group look at each other before Tony speak.

Tony: First of all, can we let Zane sleep elsewhere?

Nat: Just tell me what happened.

It came out as an order and her tone was not nice. If looks could kill, the group would be minced meat by now.

Tony: Zane had been followed by Hydra's minions. I thought you have seen the video?

Nat: And you leave the tower unattended? You know we were on a mission! Our database could be hacked anytime!

Tony: And what? Leave Zane in danger? Hello! He's a kid!

Nat: He's strong! He'll be fine!! He can handle himself! We were lucky that nothing happened while we were gone!

Steve: It's not Tony's fault, I'm at fault. I should have stayed here. I'm sorry.

Tony: Uh no! No one's at fault here. Plus, they can never hack my system. Why are you so worried, huh?! You don't trust me or something?!

Nat clenches her fists as her blood boils. She stand up from the sofa.

Tony: What, you're gonna punch me? Go ahead!!

She paced towards Tony and tried to punch him but her fist were blocked by some water that floats in the air.

Zane: Don't hurt uncle.. please..

Everyone looked at him, he was crying as he held his hand up to keep the water floating. Nat put down her hand, pulling herself together. Zane lets go of the water before collapsing into Bucky's arms.

Bucky: Zane?! ZANE!! His body is heating up!

Bruce: Bring him to the lab!

Bruce and Bucky rushed towards the lift. Everyone had a terror look on their faces except Tony. He was still furious.

Tony: For your information, when I found him, he lied and told me he's fine. When I asked him again, he broke down, telling me that he was scared. And YOU told me he'll be fine?!

Tony dashed out of the common area after he spat the last remark at Nat, getting in the other elevator. Everyone froze in their place, processing what just happened..

°~Thanks for reading~°