Chapter Twenty-One

Sup' guys!! Hope you like this story so far. It was fun writing it and I hope you had fun reading it. I don't wanna keep you on my notes, sooo enjoy your read!!! - Zane

x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x

~Y/n pov~

I woke up at around 6 a.m. Nat was still sleeping next to Zane. I got out of the room and went to grab a glass of water to soothe my sore throat. I throw a gaze out of the window, looking at the peaceful looking city as if nothing dangerous could happen. But years of being an Avengers told me a different story.

I let out a small sigh. With everything that is happening, I don't know if I can help Zane. We still got missions with the risk of encountering Hydra minions everyday. I'm afraid if they got ahold of Zane one day and worse comes to worst, we might be forced to fight him. Just the thought of it makes me slightly depressed.

Footsteps was heard coming into the kitchen. I turn around to look at the person that comes into the area.

' Good morning, Miss Stark. Perhaps you prefer tea this morning. It might help to soothe your nerves.'

' Morning Alfred. Sure, why not.'

He smiled, a small yet warm smile was plastered across his face.

' The break of the dawn will happen in a few minutes. And then a few hours later, the sun will set again for another day.' he said while his hands swiftly move the things on the kitchen counter. He glanced towards me.

' Just like every other day..' I responded, looking at the sky that started to change its colours.

' And so does everything that happened or will happen in the future. Even when you don't want it to happen, if it is written in the path of your life, you have to go through it.'

I froze in shock.

' How did he know? I didn't give it away, right?'

He chuckled.

' I have lived long enough to read facial expressions, especially when they engross themselves in their thoughts, wanting to stop all the bad things that have yet to happen.'

I just stayed silent. He puts a mug filled with barley tea with honey on the counter for me. I sat at the counter, watching him brew more beverages. The sun was up and the sky is painted with orange and red hue.

' The things that happen will be a test for the man or woman. Either you strengthen yourself and push through the obstacles or you ran away from it, letting yourself sink without even trying. The events in life is either a stepping stone for a person to achieve greatness or a limiting barrier, keeping them shut in their so-called safe zone. Such is the way of life.'

I took little sips as he talk to me. He suddenly stop what he was doing and look at me in the eyes.

' And I know, that you'll pull it off, be it raging storms or scorching hellfire. The day I saw you, I saw the determination of a warrior in you. One that can even split the world in half if that is what you wish for.'

He continued brewing some coffee as the soft aroma fills the whole area.

' So, chin up. Face all of it with confidence. You already know all the answers to it in your heart, you just need to explore life and you'll see which path you have to take.'

The mug is empty by the time he finished his small advice. He took it and put it in the sink with the glass I used earlier. I let all the words he said flow through my mind, piecing it little by little. Once I've collected my thoughts, I started to feel as if something that was blurry before, cleared up. Though I can't put my finger on what it was.

' Thanks Alfred, I feel better. The tea was marvelous too.'

' I was just doing my job as well as helping out the future of America.'

We smiled.

x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x

~3rd person pov~

Zane wakes up and sit up slowly, rubbing his eyes gently. His right hand is still interlock with Nat's hand. He let go of it discreetly, trying not to wake her up. But he failed.

Nat pulls him into a hug and starts tickling the little boy, making him giggle his heart out. After their morning laugh session, they go to grab some breakfast. Nat piggyback him along the way.

When they reach the floor the kitchen is in, the sweet aroma of coffee struck their sense of smell. For Nat, it might just be another aroma of coffee.

But for Zane, the smell is all too familiar, a smell he thought would never fill his nostrils again. He just shook his head, trying not to get his hopes up. He pushes away any thoughts that reminds him to one of the people he was grateful to have in his life.

When they reach the door, Nat stops and plaster a small smile on her face.

' Zane, meet your caretaker.' she said as she opens the door.

' Grandpa Al?!!'

°~Thanks for reading~°