Chapter Seventeen

Hey guys! Consider voting this story if you like it. I want more people to enjoy this story too. Anyways, I hope you enjoy reading this! - Zane

x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x

~Steve pov~

The drive took around 20 minutes to reach our destination. We stopped in front of a cafe with a lot of customers hanging out at the tables and the counter.

Nat: Hey, Zane. Wake up. We're here.

Zane rub his eyes as he ask; ' Where are we?'

Me: Why don't you take a look?

He slowly sit up and look through the window. When he realized where we are, he look at me as if asking it we're really there.

Me: Tony asked me to bring you here today so you can have a talk. He helped you, right?

Zane nod his head, tears in his eyes. I pat his head and we got out of the car. He look inside by the display window. It looks like a peaceful cafe with books and the nature imbued in the design.

The old man at the counter gives off serene aura that you feel around most elderly.

Me: Zane, let's go in.

Zane: Okay..

I walk in front of him and open the door.

Old man: Welcome. It seems that I have a newcomers today.

Me: Kinda. This kid wishes to see you.

I said as I gestured to Zane. The old man paused.

Zane: H-Hello..

The old man was silent and got out of the counter and hug Zane.

Old man: Oh... I'm so glad you're safe.

Zane: I was afraid that you might be hurt if I had stayed... I'm sorry for leaving you...

Old man: It's okay, I understand... Do you want chocolate milk?

Zane: Yes, please. Thanks Grandpa Al.

They laugh a bit before catching up with each other at the counter. Me and Nat go to sit at a table next to the window. Alfred, the old man, gave us one of his finest brews and it was pretty good, I admit.

Nat: So, how did Tony find this place?

Me: He did his own thing and told me the address, saying I have to bring Zane here.

Nat: And you just went with it? Not asking why?

Me: Well, I did question it at first. But he just said that Zane have to meet the owner of this place. With what happened earlier, I just piece everything up and knew who Grandpa Al is.

Nat: I see...

Nat went silent, observing the sky outside. I tried looking at the direction she's looking at. I saw something weird flying in the sky and within a few seconds, Nat screamed.

Nat: EVERYONE, DUCK!!!!

All I could hear was something crashing as I close my eyes. When I brace myself to see what happened, I saw something metal-like outside the window. Everyone in the cafe was unharmed. I look at Zane and my mouth was agape.

His eyes glow bright green as he held up one his hands. With his other hand, he drink what was left in his cup and got down from the chair.

Zane: Sorry Grandpa Al... I put you in danger again...

Alfred: No, Zane. You saved me yet again. I wasn't able to thank you last time... So, thank you. For saving my cafe, my customer and me, thank you.

Zane look down. After a few seconds, he look up again with a few tears streaming down his face.

Zane: Hey, Grandpa Al, thanks for taking me in when you did. It saved me from falling apart at that time. So, I'll always save you when you're in danger.

Zane went to the stairs in the back. We heard a few loud noises outside before the metal outside disperse, showing a crushed helicopter on the road and two men tied up on one of the trees by some thick vines. Both of them are knocked out. Zane come back down with his eyes glowing faint red before it went back to its normal colour.

His face was pale as snow when he walk towards us. His step was wobbly before he fell forward.

Me: ZANE!!

He didn't hit the floor but rather floats. Suddenly a white, small creature squeaked at me and Nat. I picked Zane up and signalled to Nat to take control as I bring Zane back to the tower. The white creature followed me and make squeaking noises as I race to the tower.

' Zane... Please be okay... This wasn't supposed to happen...'

x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~x

~Nat pov~

When Steve left, I dialled Tony's number and he picked up in a few seconds.

Tony: What's up? Are you heading back?

Me: No. Something came up. Steve is heading back with Zane. He fainted after some attack happened at the cafe.

Tony: WHAT?!!! IS HE OKAY?!! HOW DID THIS HAPPENED?!

Me: Everything is already settled before we knew it. Zane apprehended the bad guys himself before he suddenly fainted. So I need backups so we can bring these bad bitches for interrogation.

Tony: Oh, they're so dead when they come here! I'll send backup now. How is Zane?

Me: I don't know. He should arrive soon given Steve was in a state of panic earlier-

Steve: BRUCE!! HELP ZANE!! HE FAINTED!!!

Tony: Bye Nat. I'm gonna take a look at Zane.

Me: Yeah, sure. Bye- He cut me off.

With those bastard being knocked out, I don't even know what to do.

Alfred: Miss? Is Zane okay?

Me: He will be okay. Now that I think about it, you might want to move if you want to live.

Alfred: I see, I become targeted too since I was with him.

Me: You're quite wise despite your age. What did you do in the past?

Alfred: Well, I was a soldier for a few years before I engrossed myself in books. I still run every morning to keep in shape.

I analyze him and strike surprise punch at him. Shockingly, he catch my hand with a firm grip.

Alfred: As much as I like surprises, I'm still an old man with depleting strength, young lady.

Nat: Most men didn't see it coming, let alone catch it, old man. Quite impressive, I must say.

I retract my hand and we chuckle.

Me: The coffee was good. We can hire you in the tower if you want.

Alfred: For what reason do you want to hire me?

Me: Well, one, Tony is addicted to caffeine. Two, you helped Zane in the past. Three, we can ensure your safety there and, lastly, Zane would love to see you in the tower with him.

Alfred: What is my work there?

Me: Just make coffee and be Zane's caretaker when we're busy.

Alfred: You gave me a place to stay too? If it's just that, I can do it for free.

He chuckled.

Me: Well, let's see if Tony insist on paying you or you will make him keep his money.

The backups arrived just as I say that.

Me: So, you coming?

He smiled.

Alfred: Let me grab some stuff and close the shop.

I grinned as I throw those losers into the back of the van...

°~Thanks for reading~°