Chapter 16

We walk to the yellow bus, silent as we sit down on the school bus, listening to the ruckus of the students, avoiding any eye contact from anybody.

The loud chirps of students echoing through the narrow bus aisle, bouncing off the high bus roof, we both stay silent in contrast to the others, and in contrast to Sally's usual mood, it seems like we're both keeping a low profile since last night.

This is usually not a route I take to go to school, neither does Sally, but the recent night and us waking up partly later than we should have, the bus is the better option.

The bus drive is surprisingly fast as it drops us off to our school and then our day begins.

The day goes on, no mention of yesterday between Sally and I, until lunch comes.

I sit down, at our normal faded yellow and light brown plastic table, droopy and tired as I look right below eyesight, eyes drooping along with my mood.

"Ugh, long day," Sally sighs, dropping her belongings to the ground as she sits down with her lunch tray.

"Eh, pretty fast to me," I answer, picking at the food on my plate.

As we sit in silence, there are only occasional sounds of our forks scraping the plates.

"So what exactly happened last night?" Sally wonders, ending the awkward silence as she hesitates to lean in closer to me.

I look at her and then back down, about to answer but when I look back up, I spot Alexandra and Tom walking towards our table. It seems Sally noticed them at the same time as me because I spotted her mouth widening.

Tom and Alexandra sit across from us, smiling.

"What's up?" They pipe at the same time almost as if it were rehearsed.

Sally and I scrunch up our faces in shock and turn towards one another, showing off our open mouthed expression to each other.

" 'What's up'?" I mock.

Looking back at them, they look at us in confusion, his blue eyes and her green eyes popping towards us with their faces written with the question: what?

"Where have you been?" Sally asks, beating me to it.

"Well, I started my day, waking up out of my bed and then I brushed my teeth and-" Alexandra starts.

"No, not today..." Sally stops her from continuing. Sally looks around her, at the other students seated at other tables alike from ours, not paying attention to us whatsoever, but her greenish blue eyes scan the place anyway before speaking once more, leaning in closer to Tom and Alexandra once she's done so, "I mean yesterday," she whispers, as if it were a forbidden secret.

Tom and Alexandra, relaxed by Sally's weird behavior, both seem to tense up at that, no longer at ease as they then turn to look at each other with eyes wide before looking back at us.

"Nothing." Alexandra shrugs.

"Wait, but you just looked at each other and you're gonna say 'nothing' ?" I ask them, eyebrows high in suspicion.

"Ya," they both reply like it's no big deal.

Now it's Sally and my turn to look at each other, confusion and suspicion written all over our faces as our eyebrows begin to raise slightly.

"Fine, we should probably tell them," Tom decides, releasing a sigh.

Alexandra's green eyes bulge. "Tom," she warns with a hushed voice, teeth almost crashing together with how hissy the whine sounds.