Chapter 26

I feel like a bubble. Shining and untouched, I'm getting every five minutes a spaz of excitement.
This is so weird and so unlike me.

We're driving back to my place and every few moments I try to sneak a glance towards Andrew.

How come I think he looks so cute?

His checks turn up in a grin, trying to hide his stupid smile but it's still caught by me.

He looks ahead, acting all nonchalant, but still smiling.

I shake my head at him, and look towards the road myself.

His smile is so infectious, I look forward and make the same stupid grin.

~~~~~~~~

We've arrived at my home, Andrew dropping me off my front door.

He's about to unbuckle his seatbelt too when I move forward to stop him.

My hand on his seatbelt, I say, "Stay here,"

He looks confused.

"I just, I don't think it's....you know... A good idea.. you know to come in my ... house,"

He nods.

"I see," he responds.

"Okay..." I reassure myself, more comfortable knowing that I'm not pressured to let him in. I sit back fully on my seat, shifting my weight to open the door, "Thanks for the night," I say about to unlock the door.

"Wait." I turn my head towards him and I'm caught off guard by his lips catching mine. My eyes immediately flutter close and all my worries of my mom seeing him disappears.

His hand cups my left cheek, what he uses to pull me closer, and I breathe him in. Feeling the same emotions I felt from our other kiss, calm yet scared, bubbles in my stomach. I feel flutters of wings inside me and then he disconnectes our kiss. My breathing heavy, I smile and turn back towards the door before I can become hypnotized by his gaze once more.

"Alright, thanks... Umm... Thanks," I respond awkwardly, giggling at my wording. I look back at him, one last look and then open my side of the car door.

Before anything more can happen, I close the car door and walk towards my house, but before I begin to walk, I look back at him through the glass windows and smile.

I think this is the most I've smiled in a long time.

I turn back towards my house and open the front door.

~~~~~~

Entering my house, I close the front door and lean against it, sighing happily, closing my eyes, reimagining the night in my head all over again, the rush of it all settling in me.

"Uh hum," I hear someone's cough, announcing themselves and it awakes me from my thoughts as I open my eyes.

"Mom," I squeak, holding the doorknob for dear life.

"What are you doing?" she asks, her arms crossed and her eyes squinted as she examines me.

"I'm just going back to my room," I reply.

"Hmm,"

"Yep."

Silence follows and I rock on my heels to fill the tension, trying to act casual as I swing my arms forward and back.

"Welp, I guess I'll get back to my room," I say pointing to the staircase.

She looks to where I've pointed and then looks back at me, still in the same position and not saying anything, eyeing me with her serious look.

I just begin to walk towards the stairs, the tension brings me feeling uncomfortable.

I manage to walk all the way to the top step, cautiously trying to seem normal but not doing so well, yet my mom still doesn't say anything.

Just as I'm on the top, my mom calls my name, her voice piercing and high, making my hopes vanish just like that.

I turn around, the steps creaking as I dread what will happen next.

I squint my eyes before looking back at her fully.

"Where were you?"

"I-I-I-I," I stutter in surprise at her question.

"It doesn't matter, you're grounded,"

My eyes widen.

I feel a bit relieved, I thought there would be a talk but right after she states the consequence she just turns around and walks away.

I let go of a breath I didn't know I was holding and I awkwardly turn back around, walking to my room.

I close the door to my bedroom, quietly, and then jump on the bed.

"Woohoo," I whisper to myself, letting out my emotions in one small breath, my body squeezed tight as I celebrate. I let go of tightening up, the bottled up emotions leaving, and let my legs and arms spread wide open as I hit the bed. I smile, looking up at the ceiling.

Thinking, for the first time in years, that life is pretty good.