Chapter 39

"Girl, it's been so long! Tell me what you've been up to," Alex calls as she spots me entering the cafeteria, grabbing me immediately into a hug.

I chuckle awkwardly as I try to break out of the embrace.

I smile as I pull away, standing on the fluorescent glow of the shiny floor.

"Girl, I saw you on Friday," I say as I brush my wrinkled top.

"Yeah, but that was like three days ago," she groans,"too long," she pouts while shaking her head, the curls along with.

Spotting Tom, who's behind Alex, we give each other a look, a small grin placed at our lips. We look back at Alex.

"Yep, been forever," we agree at the same time.

We laugh, sitting down at the round lunch table.

"Ya, too long, so tell me everything." She pats my hand and then reaches out for her lunch that is placed in front of her.

"Noting happened in three days,"

"Sure," she states, rolling her eyes in disbelief, not having it,"a lot of things can happen in three days." She leans closer to me as she says so, making me feel nervous.

She takes out her apple and her container of food, placing them on the table as she speaks.

"Well, nothing to me." I shrug, Alex's gaze to her food now makes me feel less on the spot and I force out a breath as my tensed shoulders droop back down to their place.

My gaze finds Tom's, sitting across from me, he looks at me, no emotion in his eyes, he's more of an observer kind of guy.

I give him a small smile, my cheeks going up and then down in a second, the smile not reaching my eyes.

I look back at Alex. My attention back on her, I asked her,"Well, what have you been up to?"

She shrugs and begins to munch on her food.

"Nothing much," she comments with a full munch of food in her mouth, barely audible through it.

I smile at that, observing her brown cheeks growing larger as she engulfs her cracker in, she's so cute.

"See, nothing," I point out.

"I guess you're right," she says, not even paying attention to me anymore as she focuses on her lunch.

I look away too.

"At least you're right, for now," she adds, her gaze turning back to me, along with mine, she looks me in the eyes, piercing through my grey eyes with her green ones. Leaning forward, trying to intimidate me, which kind of works as my breath hitches in anticipation, but then she starts laughing. She shakes her head, my worry disappears with a flush of relief as I sigh, turning away as her giggles roar. "I'm so stupid," she giggles at herself.

Tom and I shake our heads in return, furrowing our eyebrows as her words settle in with her childish giggles.

"About what?" I ask

"I was trying to scare you," she laughs,"Like that could happen to BadAss Nina," she hollers out.

I frown as a thought rolls in.

The memory of thunder blazing across my room, the light shining my young face in a mere second flashes through my head, transporting me in a far away memory. Hiding under my bed with the blanket curled at my side, the thunder echoes from time to time. I trembled as I watched the light from underneath my room door. I could hear my parents speak, their voices hush yet harsh.

Another thunder sounds but the thought disappears as...

"Everyone, get your flyers, big events!" someone calls," don't miss it, very big information!"