Chapter 22

The classes went by quickly and then it was quickly time for Lunch.

I didn't even realize I was there until Alexandra called me over and I realized I was in the middle of the lunchroom with a tray in my hand.

I walk towards Alexandra, smiling, I was still in a daze from my recent conversation with Andrew.

"Hey," Alexandra says, "What's got you in a good mood?" she asks, apparently my happiness is noticeable. I smile brighter, feeling a blush rise up my cheeks,"What?" she urges, getting excited.

The sound of a tray hitting our table stops our conversation, we turn towards the sound.

My smile vanishes as I watch Sally's sad expression.

Alex's face gets covered in worried lines too.

"What's wrong?" she asks immediately.

"I'm chickening out," Sally confesses, her voice small and I can almost see a small tear flowing down her pale skin. It's too clear to notice it though.

"What, no, Sally," Alex whines,"Why?"

Sally shakes her head.

Tom jumps into our table, pausing the momentary attention on Sally, making a bang with his tray and slides into his seat.

I roll my eyes and continue the recent conversation.

"Maybe it's for the best, you need to be fully ready to commit to your feelings out loud, we can work on it together," I suggest.

She shakes her head,"What's in it for you?" she spits, wiping her cheeks as her attention zaps towards me.

I look to Alexandra, confused, but Alex follows with the same look as me.

"What do you mean?"I decide to ask instead, looking over to Sally, her blond hair mirroring the flourescent lights of this lunchroom.

"I mean you always do something for a price," she says, her face scrunched up in a bitch attitude.

My eyebrows furrow.

"Ok-ay, well not this time, we can form some sort of speech together."

"Or we could go to a party and let Sally get wasted... And in front of Andrew," she says underneath her breath, but allowing everyone at our table to hear.

I gasp.

"Hey, I tried to help you that night-,"

"Ya, but you let Andrew see me."

"Yeah, why was he at the party?" Alexandra buts in, asking me as she turns to the side, facing me, turning the conversation around with her usual curious remark.

The attention is on me as they both wait, Alexandra in wonder, curious, while Sally looks at me in silent anger.

"I have no idea, I didn't know he would be there."

"Then why did you hang out with him, you don't even like him?!"

"I don't know." I'm running out of ideas to hide the truth,"I'm-I'm guessing... he wanted to stay with you...  to see if you were okay," I say, finding an explanation mid sentence, making it as believable as possible.

A silence follows, the crunching of Tom's carrots zaps the awkwardness away and we all look towards him.

"What?" he asks, still munching on his carrots.

We all roll our eyes and it's as if the recent conversation never happened...

Alexandra laughs and soon we all join in.

We all talk about some recent movie coming out and the tests to study for.
No tension between Sally and I, but I can sense that soon enough there will be.