Chapter 96

The class stares at me in wonder for a few seconds before turning back to their papers. I manage to squeeze my way through the desks to the back of the room. The teacher has paid no notice, he's gotten used to my shenanigans. I honestly think he's just pleased to see I've made it, or rather, is thinking "that Nina, again" or something like that.

The class ticks by and I don't think I understand the algebraic rules or maybe it was a measurement rule?

The next class bells by and I find myself being pushed into the mess of transitions. I feel like a new student, never been here before, and has no idea what is going on. Maybe that's what happens when you open your eyes. How strange!

The science behind chemistry also makes no sense, and I don't understand why the teacher wears goggles on her head when there's no lab going on. Maybe that's why I don't get the assignment- because I'm too focused on her fashion choices. 

Class is over just like that and I transition to the next, I have a few papers in my hands that I didn't have before and I've gone to my locker to collect my books. 

I've been so busy inside my head that I've missed out on five months of study. I really need to catch up. 

There's a reason for notebooks after all. I need to write these things down. 

The next class goes smoother and I'm starting to get the hang of it. Despite my temptation to zone out, I focus up and pretty soon, I know exactly what the quadratic method is. I'm in the flow and suddenly I'm sad that the bell rings to dismiss the students. 

Oh well, next day!

~~~~~

I think the teachers see the progression already and I feel it too. Different classes take place today but no matter what, I have my constant piano lesson after school. I've learned all my scales, I repeat them as a warm-up for ten minutes at the beginning of every class. Mr.Lens even leaves the room and lets me explore those ten minutes in solitude. 

Another day begins and it's the same thing. 

I've got my invisible reading glasses on, my thinking cap to comprehend what the hell all these math symbols mean, and then get back to the dance company and have to read more nonsensical symbols on the sheet music. Except these symbols are even more magical and entertaining. I begin to dance on my tippy toes at the thought of it. Not only figuratively, but I literally dance in dance class on my tippy toes.

So, the week goes on like this and finishes in a flash. 

My mind's been in constant work until I sit in my last period of the week- Health - and I let my thoughts wander. I really wish this class would breeze by. 

My mind is in such a mush, I'm not used to using it for classes, I'm used to beating myself up and thinking about the past, which already took a lot of energy but gave me none in return. Thankfully, doing work might take a lot, but I've come to realize, it leaves me satisfied and it's worth doing. 

Very surprising, I know. The girl that doesn't give a shit about anything suddenly cares. Not such a hard ass after all.

Mr. Gillian lectures us on the next semester, but sitting in the back instead of my usual middle seat, leaves his words to muddle over. What!? Some things never change, like the way I hate this class. 

The bell rings and I tiredly rub my hands over my eyes. A yawn spurs out of my mouth and I drag myself out of the room. I can feel Mr.Gillian's eyes on me, but he doesn't say anything, maybe it's the code between teachers: Don't talk to Nina. 

Fine by me! 

More time to yawn and tow myself through the hall to grab my maroon coat and red scarf. Off I go to who knows where:  home.

I put my car in shift and pass my actual home to reach the dance company: Dance class with a pop of joy and music. Today we're tap dancing and tomorrow there's ballet and then it's aerobic exercises- it's a special elective weekend workshop they're offering for the first time. I'm obviously joining, where else would I rather be, and what else would I do? 

I park in front and step out of the car and into the studio quickly. It's a warm embrace, welcoming me. I greet June and salute Mr.Lens, who's printing something out behind the counter. He returns the gesture. We smile at our silly salute inside joke. 

I open the glass door on the opposite side, I swear it looks small on the inside but the second the door whishes open, it whiplashes you with its great expanse. Remmy stands there, sweat already sticking to her workout clothes on her defined skin. She's typing on her phone as she sips on her sporty water bottle, the top huge and the straw thin between her lips. She spots me and raises her eyebrows as a hello before looking back down.

I'm early.

She's used to it by now and I smile at the thought that I'm a regular. I set down my coat inside the light brown cupboards at the end of the square room. I notice the yoga mats rolled against the wall and wonder how the bubble texture feels like. 

I turn away and find my regular spot in the room. 

I let the room's glow warm me up, observing its reflection on the glass walls that create this cubed room. And stare even farther away, finding my reflection in the windows behind the glass walls. The blue sky becomes darker as the afternoon begins, trees welcoming the shadows. I manage to spot a few green leaves on the stems. Spring is coming, but I still feel it in my bones, the cold winter fog. There's a long way to go. But oh how fun that treacherous path is to then find another glow of the remaining sun. 

Class begins and the music pulses through my body. Remmy's encouragement erupts a smile on my lips and the distant sound of the register right outside this cube studio, makes me feel at home. All the work I've done this surprising week suddenly feels worth it- to then find myself here.