Chapter 68

"Ooooo, so, what's happening in youuuur life?" Alex asks, chirp of a voice and curiosity oozing out of her with the elongation of each vowel.

She faces me, her elbow on the table and head resting on hand, sitting beside me on the usual lunch table.

I shake my head, rolling my eyes and looking up at Tom who sits across from me before I sigh, turning back to face the Alex.

I chuckle.

"Nah, what's going on with your life," I asked, "it's not all about me," I informed her.

"Oh," she said. She seemed surprised, maybe she wasn't used to being asked that question.

I rolled my eyes at her expression that was still in shock like she was pushed back and frozen in that position even after a few moments I asked her that.

"Ya, come on." I nudged her side, smirking a bit.

She blinked a few times and then looked up to meet Tom's gaze, as if asking him for permission, she still looked too stunned to come up with a descent reply.

I faced Tom too, eyeing him, I wonder what he would do next.

This mysterious boy, always observing and quiet, yet for some reason knew all the answers and seemed to be the one we always came to.

He smiled at Alex, nodding his head and that was it before Alex bounced in her seat and faced me again.

"Oh, you know," she said, shrugging the words out as well as her shoulders. Her elbow back on the table and her head plopped back onto her hand, the curls on her head bounced still, covering the outline of her face."Same old, same old,"

"What does that even mean?" I questioned, my voice high as I whined.

"Oh, you know ... whatever," she shrugged out again, her shoulders bobbing yet again, "What's up with you?" she asked, chirping the words out like nothing.

My eyes widened, confused at her repetition of wanting to know more of what was happening with me.

I shrugged, looking over at Tom for maybe some help, his eyes flickering to me for a moment before I realized ... I didn't need his help.

I zapped my attention back to Alex, her brown curls, her electric green eyes, flashing towards me with her sweet smile, and her beautiful brown skin.

"We don't need to talk about me all the time, I'm not the main character, what's up with you?" I informed her, yet again, maybe a bit harshly but it was to zap her out of this state of asking only about me.

"But you are the main character," she chirped out, a bit confused as if it was obvious, I was the main character.

"What?" I questioned, clearly confused.

"We're all the main characters of our life, so, I'm going to treat you like one, " she said, now informing me.

"What, no... If I'm the main character, then so are you! Now, why don't you tell me what's going on with you, why don't you wanna tell me?"

She looked small after hearing my angry questions. Maybe I was being a bit harsh, because she looked so vulnerable as she looked down at her clothes and at her fingers and then up towards Tom. She looked lost, looking up at Tom for some sort of answer to her small delema. Scanning him slowly before turning back to me, her gaze low and her smile out of sight.

"I don't know," she confessed, her voice small.

"What don't you know?" I asked, my voice quiet too as I listened in.