34. Memory lane

Nirav chose Sahil as his partner while Prithvi and Aarav paired up

Nirav chose Sahil as his partner while Prithvi and Aarav paired up. It has always been like this. Since 5's an odd number one of us has to stay out or pair up with different people. But I have always opted to be alone in projects throughout my college life whenever 2 students are paired up. I'm comfortable doing things my way and I can't tolerate anyone other than these four for long. So even they know my tendency to choose to do the projects alone and they shuffled and paired up mostly. That's where the catch is, nobody was expecting me to choose somebody in the first place, especially not that someone being a girl and from the rival group.

I slither out of my thoughts and eye my friends who has curious looks on their faces. I keep my face cold and emotionless while asking--

"What about you guys? When are you gonna get to work?"

"Not until I've had a drink first. I swear I'm craving vodka since that stupid party last night. They didn't have vodka!! How disastrous is that. Party==vodka...and that bloody waiter had the audacity to say 'you can have champagne instead sir' " sahil finishes with a grimace on his face while all of of us chuckle at his antics.

"We will start by evening though...after taking a nap" Aarav replies shaking his head at sahil.

"When are you guys starting? Your partner...is she any good?" Questions prithvi.

Ah! there it is again. These idiots can be any more discreet? I know all of them are waiting for me to give them something...anything. But they should know better! For I have never quit without even playing.

"I honestly don't know how good she is. But I know she can handle it" I smirk as their faces fall. They're not getting anything from me.

Lunch was peaceful. Surprisingly none from our side did anything mischievous. I think everybody's busy planning their course of action for tomorrow. I finish my meal and leave the canteen to head to dorm.

Upon reaching my room, I take a shower and play some fav numbers on my phone. I lay back on the bed and close my eyes--

Today I feel different... different than any other feeling I have felt over the last 5 years. In fact, I have been feeling this sudden rush of adrenaline, the jitters, the overwhelming feeling for quite some time. If I have to be specific, I would say from the day she walked into my life again...

The day we all were notified that some other college students who has a completely different academic background will be joining us I didn't think much of it. I had too much on my plate to even look into the details of the college and their background.

I woke up feeling different that day...there was this feeling similar to that when you know you are going to a wonderful vacation spot..the excitement, the rush of emotions...I couldn't quite understand why I was feeling what I was feeling since I had never felt this way since a very long time.

It didn't take long to know the reason why...there she stood confidently refusing to be a part of the program she was basically forced into. There stood my reason...as to why I was on the edge the whole fuckin day. Now you must be thinking as to how long did it take for me to recognize her...hardly a second. The moment I turned my head to look at the girl who dared to stand up and speak for herself.. I was struck in my place. I knew instantly that it was her. How could I forget her? For I have spent so much of my time memorizing everything about her in the past.

How I sat there listening to all the regular display of authority while knowing she was just a few feet away from me is still a wonder..my mind was a total complete jumbled mess. How should I react? Should I behave like I know her? Should I be nonchalant ? Should I go talk to her? Will she recognize me?

I was not at all ready for that situation..coz fuck it was not how I had visualized it. Life truly has a way of surprising you when you're least expecting it. After a long battle between my wishes and conscience...I finally decided to play the part of a nonchalant ignorant man. Because I knew it wasn't the right time to even think about approaching her. The wolves would make her their prey for all I know.

When they all started moving to the dorms, I knew she was looking at me..I could feel her gaze upon me. Yet i tried to appear as unbothered as possible. Hell I was speaking utter bullshit to Aarav while my insides were on fire. It wasn't in me to let her walk out of that door without stealing a glance. And when I did, our eyes met and I swear the I felt like the universe just stopped doing whatever it is doing since eternity. The whole concept of time, space and matter seemed utter bullshit. All those explanations given in science about what I was feeling being a combination of chemical reactions seemed nugatory. I wanted to write a new book, hell even fathom a new theory about this insane attraction I was feeling just to prove all of them wrong. I saw so many emotions in her eyes in an instant- curiosity, awe, confusion, appreciation and finally... recognition. Her light brown orbs finally recognised my dark ones. I was ecstatic, shocked and proud all at the same time. The fact that she remembered me after all these years was stroking my ego and making me want to just walk up to her and---.'..and what?' I asked myself. What would I tell her? 'Hey I'm the guy who insulted you back then. How are you doing?' And on top of that, the side I belonged just told her side how inferior we consider them...I was standing on the opposite side of her for God's sake. My excitement quickly turned to panic as a sudden thought popped into my mind- "What if she comes to hate me because of the side I belong?"

*Don't forget to vote and comment guys🤗*