Chapter Eight

Alana noticed Cain's hands tightening on the steering wheel, with a frown set on his lips. She could tell that he was getting annoyed by what ever he was thinking about and her thoughts were confirmed when he raked a large hand through his hair, the curls bouncing back easily.

"Cain." Alana called but Cain was too engrossed by his thoughts. She realised that everytime that they met, there was always someone on his mind that led her to ask whether he was okay or not. She had never liked to be ignored and she certainly did not want a repeat of what had happened last time they went out. When they reached the traffic lights which had turned red in front of them, Alana placed her small hand on his. His deep eyes instantly caught hers and even in the dimly lit car, his hazel eyes pierced through hers.

"Your hands are freezing. Are you cold?" Cain frowned, turning the heat to full blast.

"My hands are always cold. What's wrong? You always seem to have something on your mind You should really stop thinking sometimes." Alana informed him as his eyes turned back towards the road, his hand raking through his hair once again.

"Sorry, I was just thinking about...something. Your right, I really do need to stop thinking." Cain replied, however second later, his eyes narrowed again and he seemed deep in thought once again. She knew that she would get nothing more out of him and so leaned back into the seat. Her eyes stayed on his face, noticing many things that she had not seen before, like his steel jaw and crooked nose. He must have broken it when dealing with people who didn't want to get arrested, Alana guessed. His face was neatly shaven she noted and she wondered how often he had to shave.

"You know that I can feel you staring at me right?" Cain smiled, breaking the tension but causing Alana to blush furiously. Quickly turning away, Alana struggled to keep a horrified expression off her face and suddenly began to appreciate the darkness that surrounded them. Cain's laugh echoed through the car and Alana instantly began to feel more relaxed. Once again, Cain made sure that Alana waited in the car for him to help her out. She could tell that Cain's attitude had changed, for the better and she was now looking forward to their double date.

Alana's eyes caught sight of Ben and Rosie laughing as they entered the small diner before them and was glad that they were getting along. She could tell that her best friend had been slightly lonely and so was glad to see her happy again. Although, she was sure that she would keep a close eye on Ben since she did not want Rosie to get hurt again either.

"You look great by the way." Cain gently whispered in her ear, holding open the diner door. She was sure that he was simply being polite, considering the fact that she was only wearing a gold sequined top and black jeans. She had even forgotten her jacket. Alana politely thanked him and did not complain when he gently placed a hand on her back and guided her towards the table that their friends were already seated at.

"Do you always compliment women?" Alana wondered, remembering when he had commented on her dress at the engagement party.

"Only beautiful ones that deserve it," Cain smiled, chuckling under his breath at his own cheesy reply. Shaking her head at him, Alana slipped into the booth, sitting on the red, cushioned chair which stretched around most of the table, Rosie and Ben sitting on the other side.

"It took you long enough. What were you guys doing in that car?" Ben smirked, his arm resting behind Rosie's head on the back of the seats.

"Nothing that you two should worry about." Alana joked, moving into Cain's side to emphasise her point. She simply wanted to see what their reaction would be and so hoped that Cain would play along and not be too repulsed by the idea.

"All you should know is that it was Alana who came onto me. I didn't even want to do anyth---," Cain added, earning a slightly hard slap on the chest from Alana while the two in front of them simply laughed. She had not expected him to suggest that, so she couldn't help but laugh.