Chapter Fourteen

"Bobby, don't be like that please." Alana begged, throwing her purse onto the leather sofa.

"Don't be like what? I haven't even said anything Alana." Bobby replied, turning his back to her as he walked into the kitchen. It was obvious that he was annoyed and Alana realised that she had no excuse. She should have told him that Will was back home for a while.

"What's happening?" Ben whispered behind them but Alana ignored him.

"It's not as if I would care that my best friend was back in town and you guys are back together, after he broke your heart, I might add." Bobby hissed, pouring himself a glass a water, doing anything and everything to avoid Alana's eyes.

"Bobby, just stop." Alana cried, not able to stand his coldness. She knew that if he did not hear her out soon, his coldness would only increase, until it was unbearable.

"We're not back together."

"Then why did he kiss you?"

"I have no idea." Alana answered truthfully. She did not understand his motives, especially since she had not even considered getting back with him.

"Just talk to him." Alana insisted. They had been inseparable before and during college until he had broken the 'bro code' as Bobby had put it and asked Alana out.

"I told him that if he messed up with you, I'd kill him," he reminded her, as though she had forgotten.

"I know and ---," Both of them looked towards the door as a knock echoed through the apartment. With a curt head nod, Cain opened the door to reveal the one and only, Will, once again.

"I just wanted to see if I could speak to Bobby," Will wondered, his tanned hands stuffed in his pockets as his chocolate eyes watched his friend wearily.

"Bobby, just see what he has to say," Alana mumbled, too annoyed to look at Will any longer. She would talk to him about why he kissed her another day, for now, she was trying to mend their relationship, even if Will was leaving in a month. Looking at Bobby, who eventually left the apartment to speak with Will privately, Alana felt a sigh escape her lips and was glad that they were about to mend their friendship.

Cain relaxed on his couch in front of the TV, drained from both his day at work and the hurricane of emotions that he felt at Bobby's house. All he wanted to do was sleep. Hearing the front door of his house being opened, his eyes instantly shot towards it and landed on Veronica who also froze.

"Don't look so surprised, I do live here remember." Cain frowned, having forgotten that she would come to collect her things. As if snapping out of her daydream, Veronica stepped further into the house, closing the door behind her.

"How could I forget? You always made me feel so welcome. 'Remember to take your shoes off Ronnie; don't leave your plate in the sink babe,'" Veronica mocked in a deeper voice, her eyes in slits as she spoke to him. Rolling his eyes, Cain returned his gaze back to the TV and ignored her footsteps as she stomped up his stairs. Although, he found it hard to concentrate when he realised that she was in his bedroom, moving around, near his bed, where they had slept in together on many occasions.

Cain decided to see what she was taking, in case she decided to take some of his own things and was not surprised to find her filling a black suitcase with her underwear.

"I thought that this could work...I thought that it would go somewhere, Cain." Veronica whimpered. Cain quickly pushed himself away from the door frame and walked over to her.

"Don't come near me."

"You know that I hate it when you cry Ronnie. You started this, so don't try and blame me for our break up." Cain growled, his heart breaking to see her cry. He could tell that Veronica was trying to keep her feelings concealed but he simply wanted to see the real, emotional version of her. Ever since they had been dating, she had not shown him her true personality and it wasn't until that very moment that he realised.