Chapter Twelve

"Veronica, what are you doing here?" Cain frowned as he made his way over to her. Alana had no idea what was going on, except the fact that she had been caught in quite an awkward position with Cain which to any girlfriend would appear... Intimite. She was sure that Veronica would kill her now.

"I was just coming here to apologise for jumping to conclusions, but it seems as though I had been right all along." Veronica stated, pushing him out of the way as her grey eyes narrowed in on Alana. The loud arguing between Rosie, Ben and Bobby suggested to her that they would not be coming to her rescue anytime soon.

"Nothing was going on." Cain informed her, however the look on Veronica's face showed that she was not the least bit persuaded.

" Veronica?" Alana faintly heard Ben say before a scream left her lips as she was pushed harshly on to the floor. She silently cursed her slow reactions as her arms failed to protect her head which slammed against the hard mahogany floor boards, painfully. Veronica was on top of her in a second, smothering her with a pillow that she had not even seen her pick up. Struggling to breath, due to both the pillow and Veronica's weight on her stomach, Alana attempted to fight against her, her muffled scream taking even more of her energy. Veronica's body was suddenly pulled away from her and Alana quickly pushed the pillow away from her face, taking no notice of Veronica's yells of anger whilst she made an effort to gain her breath back. Someone's large hands pulled her off the ground and out of the room as Veronica and Cain continued to argue.

"Are you alright?" Bobby questioned, hurriedly grabbing a glass cup and filling it with water.

"Luckily..." Alana gasped, gulping down the water as she tried to calm down her racing heart beat. She had known that Veronica hated her, but she had no idea that she had really wanted to kill her. She was definitely contemplating her friendship with Cain. Alana had enjoyed his company but if he was still with Veronica, she did not know whether she would be able to handle this on a regular basis.

"Oh my gosh, Alana! I am so sorry." Rosie breathed, pulling Alana into a fast, tight hug, one which made her head spin painfully.

"You have nothing to be sorry about. It wasn't your fault." Alana breathed, leaning against Bobby's side as he supported her weight.

"I should kill that b--," Rosie growled, spinning around. Bobby quickly pulled her arm, stopping her as she attempted to leave the kitchen to fight Veronica. Alana had experienced enough fighting that day and simply wanted to sleep. Holding her head, which throbbed agonizingly, Alana closed her eyes, blocking out all of the thoughts that flew around in her head and winced when she heard the front door slam closed. She paid no attention to the conversation that Rosie and Bobby were having and focused on the pain, hoping that it would slowly disappear.

"I'm so sorry, Alana." Cain's voice rang in her ears as his hand replaced hers which rested on her head. Hesitantly opening her eyes, Alana was instantly met by his worried gaze as his hazel eyes pierced through her.

"It wasn't your fault Cain." Alana repeated. The only person that she wanted an apology from was Veronica, yet, she was sure that it would not be genuine, if she ever got one.

"Come and sit down, but don't fall asleep." Cain instructed, slowly leading her towards the living room. She was sure that she would not have a concussion but she did not complain as he helped her to sit down on his chocolate leather sofa. Closing her eyes again, Alana felt more at peace as she began to lose consciousness.

"Alana."

"Alana."

"Alana!" Someone called, shaking her awake.

"I'm tired. I just want to sleep!" Alana scowled, highly irritated that they had woken her up. She had no idea that she was experiencing signs of a concussion as her irritability was increasing and this was the exact reason that Cain was shaking her.