Chapter Twenty Five

"Casey! I have something to tell you!" Alana rushed when she finally got through to the busy chef at work. 

"Could you slow down please? What is it? Can't you make it into work today or something?" Casey replied, completely unaware about what had just happened to her brother. 

"It's about Cain. He's been shot." Alana informed her, not surprised by the sudden silence on the other end of the phone. 

"Casey are you --." Alana began, getting cut off by Casey who spoke quickly. 

"Are you kidding me? Is this is a joke, Alana? I'll --." Alana frowned. She had no idea why Casey would think that she was joking. If she was, she would be a horrible person considering that it was not a very funny joke and nor was it April Fools day yet. 

"I'm being serious. Rosie just called me and so I quickly called you. He's at King George's hospital." Alana told Casey. 

"I need to get over there now! Could you come down and watch over everyone for me?" Casey cried, having taken in the news. Alana had wanted to go and see him as well, but if that was what his sister wanted, then she could hardly say no. 

"I'll be there as soon as I can. You should just go. I'll take care of everything at the restaurant." Alana agreed, quickly turning on her shower. 

"Thank you so much. I'll call you when I get to the hospital." Casey rushed before hanging up.

On her way to work, Alana could hardly focus on anything other than Cain. He had said that he would be extra careful that morning and yet he had been shot. If anything, he was being less careful. Alana also knew that she would not have cared as much if she had not spent the entire night with him. Without even noticing it, she had started to like him against all of her judgement. At that moment she felt like an idiot admitting it to herself. He would never go for someone like her, they were simply friends.  

Once she stepped foot into the restaurant, Alana pushed all thoughts of him to the back of her mind and prayed silently that he was okay.

Cain had no idea what had happened. Actually he knew exactly what happened. He had been too busy thinking about Alana to pay attention to how serious the situation had been.

***

"So, she spent the night at yours again," Ben smirked beside him as they drove downtown to where the trouble was. 

"She's a really sweet girl...and beautiful. If you saw her last night, you'd have thought that she was a different person. I mean, she looked sexy." Cain confessed as he zoomed past the other cars, the police siren ringing in his ears. 

"I did see her last night. I was the one who dropped her off at the restaurant. She definitely did look different." Ben agreed. 

"But I'm more surprised that she ended up in your bed, instead of your date. By the way that you described last night, it seems to me, that you had your eyes set on her way before you realised that your dates even knew each other." Ben laughed beside him. 

"What do you mean?" 

"I mean when you saw her, you dragged your date to sit with her. How come you didn't just let her be?" Ben quizzed. 

"I was looking looking out for her," Cain defended. 

"Excuses, excuses." Ben shook his head, causing Cain to frown. 

"Anyway, we'll finish this later. I can see the guy running down the road." Ben stated, going into work mode which Cain should have done as well. Instead, Cain ran out of the car with his mind still on Alana, wondering whether Ben had been right. Maybe he had started to like her without even knowing it. If he had, then it was certainly a surprise to him, Cain thought seriously.