Chapter Thirty Eight

"You guys all look so beautiful!" Alana cried, having finished all four bridesmaids' hair. Rosie's hair had been done by Laura who also did Alana's. Rosie looked exceptionally stunning and she had not yet even placed on her wedding dress. Alana could only imagine how she would look with her wedding dress on. Her dark hair was in pin-tight curls, framing her face whilst the rest was neatly placed up with glamorous crystal hair pins. The way that her electric blue eyes sparkled made her look even more striking.

"It's great that you've helped everyone do their makeup but you need to get your butt over here so that I can do yours." Laura insisted, patting her hand on the chair in front of her.

"I'm coming, I have to help Rosie put her dress on." Alana stated.

"Don't worry. You've been extremely helpful. The other girls will help me with my dress. You just get ready, you're the last person." Rosie insisted with a smile on her glowing face.

"Okay, have your way with me, Laura."

"I just want to thank all of you wonderful women for being here with me." Rosie smiled, her eyes tearing up as she looked every one of her friends in the eye.

"Please don't cry Rosie, otherwise you'll make all of us cry with you." Alana urged, squeezing her hand encouragingly.

"I didn't get to tell you. The dress is gorgeous Alana. It was a great choice." Rosie complimented. It was Cain's choice, Alana felt like saying, only then remembering him. As they waited in a room at the back of the church, Alana could not help but wonder how Cain was. She had obviously become too attached to him over the past two weeks, something which had certainly not ended well the last time.

"I think that you should give him a chance." Rosie stated, squeezing Alana's hand back.

"Who? Michael?" Alana frowned, unsure who Rosie was referring to.

"No way! I was talking about Cain." Rosie replied, shocked when Alana had said Michael.

"You two have always looked so cute together." Laura chipped in. Alana simply rolled her eyes.

"You guys are delusional. There is nothing and may never be anything between Cain and me." Alana assured her friends. They had already been down that road. Before anyone else could reply, their conversation was interrupted by a loud, repetitive knocking on the door.

"Excuse me ladies! It's Cain." Once Cain mentioned his name, all the women instantly looked in Alana's direction and it was hard to hide the blush that she felt forming on her cheeks.

"What do you want?" Laura yelled.

"Could I quickly speak to Alana-May Judy please? It's important." Cain replied.

"He even used her full name." Rosie snickered.

"Guys just stop it." Alana complained, just as they all began to make kissing noises.

"You're acting like a bunch of children." She added, opening the door and closing it behind her.

"Sorry about that Cain ---" Alana started, slowly turning around. When her eyes landed on him, however, she was slightly stunned by how handsome he looked. The black tailored suit, crisp white shirt and slim, cotton candy pink tie made him look remarkably well dressed. His hair was exactly how she liked it, a mess of unkempt curls and his eyes were just as intense as always, staring right at and almost through her.

"They were just being silly. What's so important?" Alana finished, her heart beating erratically in her chest, just as it had years ago, as Cain's eyes looked her up and down.

"I knew that the dress would look perfect. You look beautiful." Cain smiled boyishly, placing a hand through his hair. His comment simply made her blush even more than she had been.

"I just wanted to apologise for being a jerk yesterday." Cain apologised sweetly.

"Apology accepted. Is that what was so important?" Alana wondered, smiling at the fact that he had even remembered. She leant against the wall beside the door, waiting for what he was going to say next.

"Well not all of it." Cain replied, placing his arm and elbow on the wall beside her head, his face moving considerably closer.

"Are you still in love with Michael?" Cain quizzed. His question completely caught her off guard and Alana felt anger rising to the surface.

"What sort of question is that?" Alana frowned, suddenly feeling uncomfortable. She had no idea why Cain would ask her such a question. Michael had cheated on her which meant that was the end of their relationship. Her feelings for him, although they had not disappeared entirely, were no longer the same.

"It's a simply question, Lana." Cain answered, refusing to move away from her.

"No, I am not still in love with Michael." Alana stated surely, in response to this Cain smiled, seeming happy with her answer.

"Lana." Cain began, his eyes burning into hers as the smile refused to move away from his lips.

"Cain." Alana replied, calling his name just as he had called hers.

"Are you trying to seduce me, Cain?" Alana wondered with a small smile, when he refused to move.

"Is it working?" Cain questioned, raising an eyebrow. It was only then that she noticed his spearmint breath as it fanned her face. He was so close.

"Very funny." Alana breathed, beginning to feel hot due to his proximity. She was so close that she could smell his cologne, his sweet cologne.

"I just wanted to finish something that I almost did yesterday." Cain stated, moving the tiniest bit closer.

"What? I don't know how you could possibly finish throwing me out of ---." Alana began only for his lips to become suddenly pressed against hers.

His lips were soft and warm against her as she felt his hand once again gently placed on her cheek. Alana could barely keep herself still which was a surprise. Usually, she would never feel such excitement but with Cain, everything was different.

"You seem to like disrupting me with kisses, if I recall rightly," Alana whispered against his lips, her eyes looking up at him as his narrowed eyes stared down at her. He easily chuckled, his lips only brushing against hers.

"Cain, could you just kiss me?" Alana complained, placing her hand on his chest.

"I am kissing you." Cain smiled. Alana was sure that he knew exactly what she was talking about.

"I mean properly." Alana stated, her eyes still closed.

"I'm not so sure about that. I don't want to get little Miss Innocent in trouble with her pastor." Cain joked.

"I'm allowed to kiss people that I really like, Cain. That's not a sin." Alana informed him.

"You really like me?" Cain laughed, his forehead pressed against hers.

"I think that I should get back now," Alana said, only for Cain's lips to become pressed firmly against hers. They easily moved in sync and Alana melted into him just as she thought that she would. His other arm pulled her body close against his, whilst her hand moved around his neck and into his soft, silky hair. Alana felt as though she had never been kissed before due to how wonderful it felt to be in his arms.

"Nothing is ever going to happen between Cain and me, not ever!" a voice mocked and Alana immediately recognised that voice to be none other than her best friend's. Pulling away, Alana felt her cheeks redden. Boy, had she been wrong. Except she could care less.