𝟒𝟖

CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT

Mary Macdonald

CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT☼▕  Mary Macdonald  ▏

. . .

Everyone has a different story. Good or bad. For Mary, I guess you could say she got a taste of both as her life progressed.

Mary was never one to conjure up good plans. Hence why she is in the situation she's in now.

Her feet felt stuck in place as she gazed up and watched the building split apart, revealing 12 Grimmauld Place.

She mentally cursed herself for letting Dumbledore talk her into coming back to London. But in the end, it was all for a good cause.

Inside, Marlene, Lily, Dorcas, Sirius, Remus, and James all sat around the sitting room.

"Ana never owled me back about her birthday." Sirius pointed out, looking away from the long letter Victoria had sent him and Remus.

Remus' thumb glided across the back of Sirius' hand. "They check the letters now . . . maybe she just wants to wait."

"Or she just doesn't want to talk to you," said Marlene, peering over her latest copy of the Daily Prophet. Her legs were propped up on Dorcas' lap and her back was slumped against the couch.

Dorcas stopped rubbing Marlene's ankle and glanced at her wife with a disapproving look. Marlene noticed this look and mouthed 'what?', but Dorcas simply shook her head.

The front door to Grimmauld place made a loud slamming noise once Mary made her way inside making her internally cringe.

She carefully removed the light coat that once kept her warm and draped it over her forearm. The chatty voices she heard had halted due to the sudden and unexpected noise.

"What was that?" Lily questioned quietly. Her fingers stilled in James' dark hair though he didn't notice seeing as he was fast asleep on her lap.

Marlene swung her legs off of Dorcas' lap and fixed herself to a seating position. She gripped her wand that twisted her blonde hair back into a bun and gently pulled it out, letting her hair fall loosely down her back.

"Calm down," Dorcas said gently when she saw how serious Marlene looked. "What if it's Frank and Alice? Al will have a complete heart attack if she sees you pull a wand on her."

"And if it's a fucking Death Eater?!" Marlene whispered a reply harshly. "What then?"

Mary removed her shoes so her footsteps were unheard. She trod carefully down the hall, following the harsh whispers that could be heard.

Marlene reacted quickly when a blur of curls caught the corner of her eye.

"Stupefy!"

Mary - who remained a mystery to the group - dropped to the floor, dodging the spell. Her heart rammed against her ribcage as her breaths fastened.