Part 34

Harry and the others had heard Tonks whooping. They froze for a second and Ron asked,"What the hell was that about?" "I don't know, Ron" Hermione said. Harry merely walked forward when he abruptly stopped causing Ginny to stumble into him. "Now what is this about mate?" Ron asked again steadying Ginny (Am fine, Ronald. Let go!).

Harry looked at him and said, "Er... maybe she said yes?" Soon the girls squealed.  "Sorry what?" Ron asked again after they finished. "Oh! Ronald" Hermione smacked him lightly sniffling. "Hermione, why are you crying?" Both Ron and Harry asked bewildered. "Because she is happy. And Ara said yes to marry Sirius, Ron. Stupid boys." Ginny muttered. "Come, let's see if it's true and celebrate. " Hermione pulled Ginny forward and Ron followed.

Harry fidgeted for a moment and followed them. He found his godfather hugging his soon-to-be godmother(the rings were seen glittering from a distance) just near the entrance. He  waited behind others as they engulfed them in congratulations. He smiled lightly as he watched both Ron and Ara blushing as he awkwardly wished them.

At last Ginny let go of Ara's hand having gawked at the ring. Harry looked to see a scared looking Ara and his Godfather smiling encouragingly from behind looking back at him. He slowly trudged forward.

"Thank you " Ara said and soon looked embarrassed, " I mean... er... that is what you all... er... Sirius said you already said yes to him asking me... so I...erm... it's OK.  I will never... er... I won't put...er...interfere in your life. I promise ..I just... the war.." Soon Ara found herself sandwiched in a hug. Both Harry and Sirius had hugged her together.

"Stop worrying, love." Sirius whispered in her ear from behind as Harry sobbed into her neck on the other side. She instinctively ran a hand through his hair. Harry mumbled, "I am so sorry, Ara. I just wanted to keep you all safe. I thought it was better if I keep myself away...now I know it's stupid..but am so sorry . Please forgive me Ara. Please don't be distant..please please... I am so so so sorry.... please. "

Ara said softly letting her own tears fall, "Hey kiddo, am not going anywhere. Until the end,remember?" Harry smiled and nodded. Sirius moved as they all broke the hug to stand in front of him and said, "When all this is over, we'll be a proper family. You'll see. You, Ara and Me." He hugged Harry close as Harry held onto him like his life depended on it. Both of them didn't see Ara looking both sad and scared at the moment.

Harry wondered how could he have dreamed of returning to Privet Drive for Christmas? Sirius's delight at having the house full again, and especially at having Harry back and Ara telling yes, was infectious. He was no longer  sullen; now he seemed determined that everyone should enjoy themselves as much, if not more than they would have done at Hogwarts, and he worked tirelessly in the run-up to Christmas Day, cleaning and decorating with their help. Most work was done by Kreacher but Sirius had too much excitement that he couldn't simply sit around. Mainly Kreacher cleaned and cooked while Sirius took to decorating.

And by the time they all went to bed on Christmas Eve the house was barely recognisable. The tarnished chandeliers were no longer hung with cobwebs but with garlands of holly and gold and silver streamers; magical snow glittered in heaps over the threadbare carpets; a great Christmas tree, obtained by Mundungus and decorated with live fairies, blocked Sirius's family tree from view, and even the stuffed elf-heads on the hall wall wore Father Christmas hats and beards.

Harry awoke on Christmas morning to find a stack of presents at the foot of his bed and Ron already halfway through opening his own, rather larger, pile. "Good haul this year," he informed Harry through a cloud of paper. "Thanks for the Broom Compass, it's excellent; beats Hermiones - she got me a homework planner–and I just loved Ara's gift.." Harry sorted through his presents and found one with Hermiones handwriting on it. She had given him, too, a book that resembled a diary except that it said things like "Do it today or later you'll pay!" every time he opend a page. His heart sank as he didn't find any boxes in Ara's name. Maybe she didn't forgive him after all.