Part 7

Sirius could not sleep that night. It was nearly midnight. Harry will be awake too. He thought. He hadn't communicated with Harry much after the incident. Harry had to stay with the Dursleys to ensure his protection and communication through letters were risky for both Harry and Sirius. Albus and Remus reminded him it almost daily.

Sirius was so locked up that he couldn't even get him a birthday gift. As he thought of it, his eyes grew moist. What kind of a godfather is he? What would James say? 

He got up and walked to the kitchen to get some drink and was surprised to see the girl sitting on the counter with legs crossed and a cup in hand.

He debated with himself silently as to going in or going back. She saw him and asked, " Er.. I just thought I'd drink a coffee.. I didn't want to wake you. Sorry?"

He stared at the girl and said, "you didn't wake me... I... Harry's... Never mind. It's OK. Drink or eat whenever you want. Don't apologize please" he rolled his eyes.

She looked at him for a few seconds and asked, " So, what did you send for Harry's birthday?"

" Ohh you would already know. Don't you? " he said sarcasm dripping in his voice. She frowned."  Actually.. No. Your gift wasn't mentioned. But you don't have to tell me if it's... Um... It's not my business to know. Sorry for being nosy. I was just... "
" oh Merlin help me... Stop saying sorry. I didn't get him anything alright? Am not allowed to communicate with him. I am a useless godfather. I have been terrible. He is totally alone with those.... Those... People  and am here... "
Sirius voice shook. She just stared open mouthed while he spoke. Then she started" I.. " sirius raised his arm and said" don't Apologize. Not your fault " she flinched and said." No I have a suggestion. How fast will an owl reach him? " Sirius said," soon. But I can't write "
" but I can, can't I? " she smiled. Sirius slowly caught on and his face beamed so bright that he looked several years younger. Just as he stood, she said" wait... I... May I tell... Just a suggestion... It's OK if you don't... "

" out with it, lady. Am so happy I can't be angry now " he laughed.

" OK. Why don't you send your two way mirror to him? Isn't that communication safe? You know the one you and Jame... Ur... Harry's dad shared when in different detentions?"
" of course, it's brilliant. He will love it. I can tell him all... Thanks Ara.. I... You don't know how much this means to me. "
She gave him a small smile. Soon he was back with parchment with quill. She fumbled with the quill to which he laughed." OK. What do I write? "

"Do me another favor, will you? Just write like a... Scribe.. OK? This is between me and my godson. Don't hesitate please " she nodded.

"OK. Write.. Mm... No don't write that. Let's start with.. Dear Prongslet, I have not been able to communicate with you till now. You have no idea how sorry I am. But you know why, don't you?
I know you are strong but struggling. Hold on Harry.
Er... Leave some space. Not that much. Yes. There. Write in caps now, what? Do it. Yeah.. HAPPY BIRTHDAY HARRY..  OK now back to the normal.
Here is your gift open it and call my name. I have a wonderful surprise and a lot more to tell you.
Er.. Write again, call my name soon. OK?
Now sign it off as snuffles. He will know. "
She smiled at the letter. Sirius's face suddenly fell." How do we send it? I don't have any owl"
She looked at him "you purebloods really underestimate your helpers you know!" Sirius face scrunched as he thought hard. She looked as if she was struggling to hide her laugh. " You have Kreacher. Just give him strict instructions without any loopholes, can you?"
Sirius opened his mouth for a second and shouted, " KREACHER"  the elf appeared and bowed to him. " Right, I want you to give these to harry potter and only him directly. You must ensure that no one else knows about this ever. You should tell him it's from me. NOBODY should know in any way. You must obey this now itself. Clear?" the elf bowed again and muttered about 'clever orders'..as he looked at the girl. She smiled "Hello Kreacher" Sirius stared at her with wide eyes. Kreacher surprised them all with a deep bow and said with a choked voice, " Mistress must forgive Kreacher, Kreacher didn't know Master's guest is you. Ohh... Mistress is finally here,how Kreacher wished for you to save master Regulus"  Both Sirius and Ara stared at the elf and then at each other. Ara then cleared her throat and sat near the elf. "am sorry I couldn't be earlier Kreacher, I wish Regulus was here too. But I promise I will do my best to make everything better. OK? You can tell me anything. I will help you in any way I can. Now will you obey Sirius? Harry is also just like you and me, Kreacher, all his family left.. So alone for a long time. Help him Kreacher, please? "
Kreacher gave another bow," kind mistress. Kreacher is honored to serve you. Kreacher will help Harry if he is Mistress's dear. " with that he disapparated.

Ara asked Sirius," so you told him to call me mistress? "
" I did not! " He exclaimed." I don't understand. That elf is mad. Anyway it's good he obeys you"
She looked confused, but nodded silently.