Year 1 - It's our little secret

I pick up a piece of chicken and begin to start eating it. I see Fred looking at me through the corner of my eye and choose to ignore it and continuing eating. Ron pick up two chicken wings and begins munching on both of them.

"I'm half and half." Seamus says to us around him. "Me dad's a muggle. Mum's a witch. Bit of a nasty shock for him when he found out."

I laugh. "Hermione and I are both muggleborns?" I say and look to Fred for reassurance, he nods. "Yep muggleborns" I say

"Say Percy, who's that teacher talking to Professor Quirrell?" Harry asks.

"Oh, that's Professor Snape, head of Slytherin house." Percy says.

"What's he teach?"

"Potions. But everyone knows it's the Dark Arts he fancies. He's been after Quirrell's job for years." Percy says.

I finish eating my piece of chicken and go to grab another one from the pile that never seems to get any smaller, when a head pops up from the plate.

"Ah!" I scream

"Hello, how are you? Welcome to Gryffindor!" The head says

"Hello Sir Nicholas. Have a nice summer?" Percy asks

"Dismal. Once again, my request to join the Headless Hunt has been denied." Sir Nicholas says and then flies off.

"I know you. You're Nearly Headless Nick." Ron says calling after him.

The ghost turns around and says, "I prefer Sir Nicholas if you don't mind."

"Nearly headless? How can you be nearly headless?" I ask. Fred sniggers beside me.

"Like this." Sir Nicholas says and then proceeds to pull his head almost off.

I stare at him with my mouth open.

"Close your mouth love, it's rude to stare." Fred says laughing as he closes my mouth and I blush slightly at him calling me love. I glare at him. "You're gonna be fun to have around Granger."

We all continue to talk and laugh throughout dinner and after we are all completely stuffed with food, but all the plates are still full Dumbledore stands up, "Prefects please lead your houses to their dormitories."

"Alright Gryffindor follow me." Percy says and stands up.

We walk out of the Great Hall and through some corridors, along with the Ravenclaw first years and their Prefect.

"Gryffindors, follow me, please. Keep up, thank you." Percy says to us as he leads us down a separate corridor from the Ravenclaws. "This is the most direct path to the dormitories." Percy says standing in front of a staircase. "Oh and keep and eye on the staircases. They like to change."

"Change?" I say to Hermione.

"Oh, y/n. We're at a wizarding school now, surely this seems normal." Hermione says.

"The pictures are moving. Look at that one." Ron says pointing at photos.

"I think she fancies you." Harry says pointing towards a photo. I snicker behind them and Ron glares at me.

We finally make it up the stairs after 20 minutes as they decided to change constantly. We followed a few more corridors until Percy stopped us in front of a large painting.

"Password?" She asks Percy.

"Caput Draconis." Percy says.

The painting moves out of the way revealing a large doorway that leads into the Gryffindor common room.

"Follow me everyone. Keep up. Quickly, come on." Percy says as he leads us into the large room. "Gather around here." He says. "Welcome to the Gryffindor common room. Boys' dormitories upstairs and down to your left. Girls the same on your right. You'll find all your belongings have already been brought up."

Hermione and I separate from the boys and follow the rest of the girls up to our new room. We get there and I find my stuff on a bed closest to a window, and Hermione's things on a bed right next to mine. At the trunk at the bottom of the bed there's new robes, ones with Gryffindor logo on them, a scarf, gloves, and a yellow and red tie.

Hermione and I, along with the other girls all change into our pyjamas and get ready for bed. Before I know it all the other girls are asleep, including my sister, but I can't.

I find my slippers in the dark, slide them on and make my way towards the door. I follow the stairs back down into the common room and see that the fire is still slightly alive. I walk over to it and sit on the couch. Only then do I notice the boy sitting beside me.

"Oh, hello Fred." I say to the ginger twin beside me.

"Granger, how'd you know it was me and not George? My own mum can't even do that" He says with that lopsided smile.

"I don't know. Must be a twin thing. You do realise that calling me Granger may get confusing considering there are two of us." I say.

"No." he says. "It won't. Your sisters Hermione. You're Granger. Unless you want me to call you y/n? Or something else?"

"Granger works." I say and take out my favourite book.

"I love that book!" Fred says as you curl your feet under you and snuggle into the corner of the couch.

"Really? It's one of the only ones I read. Mione's the reader."

"Mum bought it for me and George, but he was never interested. I read it at least once a week. Don't tell anyone that though. Don't want people thinking I like to read. Not that there's anything bad about it."

"Don't worry. It's our little secret." I say with a small smile. Fred grabs the blanket that was wrapped around him and places it over me, keeping his feet under it that were also tucked underneath him.

I don't know how much time passes but I eventually fall asleep with the fire blazing in the background.